LAFC Forward Diego Rossi Voted MLS Player of the Week
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) announced today that forward Diego Rossi was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the sixth week of the 2019 MLS regular season.
Rossi, currently sitting in second place in MLS with six tallies, scored three goals during the 4-0 victory over D.C. United on April 6. This marks Rossi's second hat trick since joining the Black & Gold last season. He notched all three goals during regular time of the U.S. Open Cup semifinal loss against Houston Dynamo.
The 21-year-old opened his day with a goal in the 27th minute to give LAFC a 2-0 advantage. Vela served Rossi with a perfectly placed pass into the box, where the Uruguayan finished with a left-footed tap in to the bottom right corner of the goal. Five minutes later, Rossi extended LAFC's lead to 3-0 with a curling shot from inside the box off a through-ball from Mark-Anthony Kaye.
Rossi then completed his first MLS hat trick in the 76th minute when he received Christian Ramirez's pass in the box and powered a shot off goalkeeper Bill Hamid and into the back of the net.
For just the seventh time in MLS history, a team recorded hat tricks in back-to-back matches and the first time it's happened in consecutive road games. On March 30, forward Carlos Vela tallied three goals during the Club's 5-0 road victory over San Jose Earthquakes.
LAFC remains undefeated and sits atop the standings following a 5-0-1 (16 points) start to its 2019 MLS campaign. Next up for the Black & Gold is a matchup against expansion side FC Cincinnati on Saturday evening at Banc of California Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast live on YouTube TV, KVMD, ESPNLA 710, KFWB 980.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 8, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 8, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 8, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes Trio Selected to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Forward Diego Rossi Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Reintroduces Sammy the Sounders Mascot Ahead of Team's Annual Kids Day Match this Saturday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Takes on D.C. United Tuesday Night in Washington - Montreal Impact
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Diego Rossi Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Darren Mattocks Named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: April 8, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC to 'Blackout LA' Before Sunday's Matchup against Galaxy
- LAFC Blanks San Jose Earthquakes 4-0 on Wednesday Night
- LAFC to Host First Ever Interfaith Night on Wednesday, August 21
- LAFC Begins Three-Game Homestand on Wednesday against San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 2-0 on Saturday Night; Clinch 2019 Postseason Berth