Earthquakes Trio Selected to MLS Team of the Week
SAN JOSE, Calif. - Following the San Jose Earthquakes' 3-0 win over the Portland Timbers on Saturday, three members of the club have been honored by Major League Soccer. Cristian Espinoza was selected to the MLS Team of the Week, presented by Audi, while Anibal Godoy was selected to the Team of the Week Bench as honorable mention and Matias Almeyda was selected as Coach of the Week.
Espinoza tallied a goal and the game-winning assist in the Quakes' victory over Portland. With some nifty footwork, he beat his man on the right wing before sending in a low cross to Shea Salinas for the tap-in (watch). He later scored his second goal of the year, and first at Avaya Stadium, by blasting a shot past Timbers keeper Jeff Attinella (watch). The goal, which extended their lead to 3-0, came just 70 seconds after the Quakes had tallied their second of the night through Danny Hoesen.
Godoy played a crucial role in San Jose earning their first shutout of 2019. Tasked with marking 2017 MLS MVP Diego Valeri, Godoy helped keep the Timbers off the scoresheet for just the second time this season.
Honored as Coach of the Week, Almeyda earned his first win at the helm for the Earthquakes.
San Jose returns to action on Saturday, April 13 when they face the Houston Dynamo at BBVA Compass Stadium (12 p.m. PT; Univision, 1370 KZSF, 560 KSFO).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 8, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 8, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 8, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes Trio Selected to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Forward Diego Rossi Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Reintroduces Sammy the Sounders Mascot Ahead of Team's Annual Kids Day Match this Saturday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Takes on D.C. United Tuesday Night in Washington - Montreal Impact
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Diego Rossi Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Darren Mattocks Named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: April 8, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- MLS Regular Season to Continue in Local Markets in August
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 3, 2020
- Quakes eliminated from MLS is Back Tournament; finish with 3-1-1 record
- Earthquakes Face Minnesota United FC Tonight
- Earthquakes to Expand Drive-In Viewing Parties for Quarterfinals