Earthquakes, Four Team Partners Combine Forces to Feed Frontline Healthcare Workers
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes have collaborated with four team partners and community leaders - el Jimador Tequila, TacoMania, BODYARMOR Sports Drink and Sutter Health- to provide 500 meals to frontline healthcare workers.
"We have always valued partners with a shared desire to make an impact in our community," said Earthquakes Chief Operating Officer Jared Shawlee. "We're proud to work in tandem with four of our partners to provide meals to those who are putting themselves at risk in order to take care of others."
Click here for b-roll footage of the event
The donation originated from an el Jimador-branded video on social media featuring Earthquakes players Daniel Vega, JT Marcinkowski and Jackson Yueill touting Cheers to the Medical Staff . el Jimador then made a financial contribution to cover the cost of one meal for every retweet the video received.
"In the middle of this unprecedented time in our lives, el Jimador Tequila wanted to look for ways to celebrate people this Cinco," said Micah McLendon, Marketing Manager for el Jimador Tequila. "As the official tequila of the Earthquakes, we came together to bring some joy to the frontline workers at Sutter Health. Providing meals to these courageous people was our effort to show the deep appreciation from the community to those helping every day."
A total of 500 burritos, 250 from TacoMania and 250 from another San Jose-based restaurant, as well as beverages from BODYARMOR Sports Drink were delivered on Tuesday to the medical staff at Palo Alto Medical Foundation's Mountain View Center, part of the Sutter Health network. Sutter Health is the club's official healthcare partner and academy partner and provides care for the Earthquakes' players on and off the field.
"We are thrilled to have the Earthquakes and their partners honor our hardworking healthcare workers with a tasty catered lunch," said Daniel Ouyang, M.D., an Internal Medicine doctor with PAMF. "Our partnership with the Earthquakes has focused on keeping the athletes healthy and in top shape, and also promoting a healthy and active lifestyle to Quakes' fans and youth athletes in surrounding communities. We are thankful for their support of our healthcare workers during this challenging time."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 13, 2020
- Diego Alonso: "The Current Condition of the Team Is StrongÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Herons from Home: Wil Trapp's #MLSIdle Worthy Voice - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Joins Top 95 Domestic Youth Soccer Clubs in Major League Soccer's Elite Player Development Platform - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas and Toyota Partner to Deliver Meals to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Allen - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes, Four Team Partners Combine Forces to Feed Frontline Healthcare Workers - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo and Rio Grande Valley FC among seven teams in Texas to compete in new MLS initiative - Houston Dynamo FC
- FC Cincinnati Senior Account Executive Tabbed to "Rising 25Ã¢ÂÂ - FC Cincinnati
- Top 95 Domestic Youth Soccer Clubs, 8,000 Players, Join Major League Soccer's Elite Player Development Platform - MLS
- MNUFC and Allina Health Host Second Blood Drive at Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati and Cincy Shirts Team up to Celebrate 513 Day - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.