Early Runs Enough for Key AirHogs Win
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - The Grand Prairie AirHogs took control during a bizarre first inning, and coasted to a key 9-2 win over the Sioux Falls Pheasants on Tuesday night at QuikTrip Park.
The Pheasants (42-52) took the lead on a double-steal in the first, when Jared Bolden was picked off first by Alain Quijano (4-7) but Jairo Perez threw wildly to the plate to allow Cory Morales to score.
But Grand Prairie (49-46) responded with five against Peter Gehle (6-9), scoring on a bloop single, infield hit when Gehle fell down, an errant throw on a would-be inning-ending double play and an RBI hit by Alberto Espinosa.
Quijano allowed an unearned run in the second, but after getting around a two-out single in the third and a pair of baserunners in the fourth, he gave up just one more runner in his seven innings - a walk erased by a double play in the sixth.
Meanwhile, the AirHogs tacked on a run in the fourth and then hit three solo home runs off Dusty Gober - Brian Myrow in the sixth, and Jonny Kaplan and Bryan Frichter in the seventh doing the honros - to put the game away.
Derrick Miramontes and Justin Dowdy each pitched a perfect inning to finish things up and get Quijano his first win in four starts with the AirHogs.
Notes: Quijano's win was the first for an AirHogs starter since Nick DeBarr on August 6, and he is the first AirHogs starter other than DeBarr to win a game since Will Irvin on July 7.Grand Prairie remains two and a half games behind Laredo, who beat Fargo-Moorhead 6-4 on the road for the Lemurs' 11th straight win.Four AirHogs had multi-hit games.The Pheasants were held to five hits.The AirHogs pitchers faced the minimum number of hiters in each of the last five innings.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs start continue their three-game series against the Sioux Falls Pheasants at QuikTrip Park on Wednesday, August 29, at 7:05 p.m. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 28, 2012
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Rout 'Cats 13-6 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Pound out Season High 22 Hits in 13-6 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Lemurs top RedHawks 6-4 in Series Opener, Extend Win Streak to 11 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Big Inning Hurts Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Lemurs Win 11th Straight - Laredo Lemurs
- Wingnuts Pull out Win in Ninth - Wichita Wingnuts
- Fourth Walk Off In Seven Games Dooms Diablos - El Paso Diablos
- Mazzola Guides Fish to Win over Sioux City - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Early Runs Enough for Key AirHogs Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Quebec Rallies Late for Walk-Off Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Diablos Announce August 31 Thru September 3 Promotions - El Paso Diablos
- Local Northwest Indiana Child to be "RailCat for a Day" - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RailCats to Wrap up Season with Seven-Game Homestand - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Final RailCats Home Stand of 2012 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs