Dynamo Academy U-17s to Feature in Expanded Generation adidas Cup
HOUSTON - the Houston Dynamo Academy Under-17 side will compete against the top clubs in North America and from across the globe in the upcoming 2019 Generation adidas Cup tournament, the club and Major League Soccer announced today.
The tournament will feature U-17 and U-15 competitions at the Toyota Soccer Center at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas from April 13-20.
The Dynamo Academy U-17 side is currently 8-6-1 on the season, which began in August of last year. Led by head coach Kenny Bundy, the 17s have won four of their six games this spring in the Development Academy League. Forward Kaya Ignacio leads the way up top, with 15 goals in 13 appearances, while midfielders Joshua Hallenberger and Diego Gonzalez and forward Daniel Rios have combined for another 15 scores. In the back, goalkeeper Isaac Acevedo earned his first clean sheet of the spring season last weekend in a 4-0 win over the RGV FC Academy.
The future stars of the sport will be on display as 21 MLS Academy teams participate in an expanded U-17 competition that includes 15 premier international clubs, the largest field in the 12-year history of the tournament. International clubs competing in the Generation adidas Cup will be announced in the weeks leading up to the tournament.
Intense rivalries will also play out in this year's Generation adidas Cup with the debut of a U-15 tournament between MLS and Liga MX. Four clubs from each league will participate in the tournament, with clubs facing each team from the opposing league once. An exciting fifth and final matchup will pit the first-place Liga MX side against the top MLS club in a winner-take-all showdown for North American bragging rights.
"The industry leading partnership between adidas and Major League Soccer continues to drive the evolution of player development in North America through the growth and success of programs like the Generation adidas Cup. With MLS Academy teams participating, along with renowned international clubs, the Generation adidas Cup provides a world class platform for North America's best players to measure themselves," said Aaron Maines, Director of Soccer Sports Marketing for adidas.
For the third consecutive year, an educational coaching symposium, featuring presentations and lectures from top domestic and international soccer minds will be held throughout the tournament.
"The Generation adidas Cup is a world-class competition that offers MLS Academy teams the opportunity to compete against some of the most talented youth players across the globe. With the addition of more international clubs, we are excited to see the most competitive iteration of the tournament yet," said MLS Executive Vice President of Competition and Player Relations Todd Durbin. "This year's introduction of the new U-15 tournament against Liga MX clubs enhances a growing partnership that bolsters the sport across North America on and off the pitch."
Tournament play began with three regional tournaments (East, Central and West) featuring U-17 academy teams from 21 MLS clubs. All 21 MLS U-17 academies competed in two regional qualifying events from October 2018 to February 2019, with the eight top-finishing MLS clubs advancing to play in the Championship Division where they will face off against eight international opponents. The remaining 13 MLS clubs will play in the Premier Division against a field of seven international sides. Likewise, MLS U-15 teams played qualification rounds, with the top four teams advancing to the U-15 division Liga MX-MLS showdown.
U-17 Championship - MLS Participants
New York City FC
New York Red Bulls
Real Salt Lake
Seattle Sounders FC
U-17 Premier Division - MLS Participants
Columbus Crew SC
Sporting Kansas City
New England Revolution
Orlando City SC
San Jose Earthquakes
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
U-15 Division - MLS Participants
Los Angeles Football Club
New York Red Bulls
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 21, 2019
- Montreal Impact Foundation to Erect Second Mini-Field in Montreal - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Loans Midfielder Mo Adams to Memphis 901 FC - Chicago Fire
- Preview: Orlando City Travels to Face New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Loans Moises Hernandez to San Antonio FC - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Academy U-17s to Feature in Expanded Generation adidas Cup - Houston Dynamo
- Cruz's Backheel Tally wins MLS Goal of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Expanded Generation adidas Cup to Feature Future MLS and International Stars - MLS
- Minnesota United Presents Men in Blazers Live at the Ordway - Minnesota United FC
- New York City FC Sign Brazilian Striker Heber - New York City FC
- Toronto FC Sign Laryea - Toronto FC
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Welcome Orlando City SC on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincinnati Partners with SeatGeek to Launch Revolutionary Fan Experience - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo Loan GK Michael Nelson to RGV FC for Las Vegas Lights FC Clash
- Dynamo Fall to LA Galaxy 2-1 on Late Goal
- MD Anderson and Houston Dynamo to Host End Cancer Night April 27
- Houston Dynamo Midfielder Tomas MartÃnez Named to MLS Team of the Week
- Dynamo Stay Unbeaten with 2-1 Win over San Jose