Durham Wins Fourth Straight Behind Shealy Slam
(Columbus, OH) Ryan Shealy's sixth inning grand slam backed Heath Phillips, as Durham beat Columbus 7-3 on Saturday night for the team's fourth straight win.
Leading 2-0 heading into the sixth inning, Justin Ruggiano and Dan Johnson drew one-out walks against Carlos Carrasco (2-2). Joe Dillon followed with a ground single to left on an 0-2 pitch, scoring Ruggiano. Carrasco, injured while backing home plate, left for Jess Todd.
Todd got a ground ball against Chris Richard, but Wes Hodges misplayed it at first for an error, loading the bases. Todd then got ahead of Shealy, 1-and-2, but Shealy fouled a pitch off before hitting Durham's first grand slam of the season to center for a 7-0 lead. Shealy now has seven homers, and has gone deep in two straight games and four of the last five.
Durham had scored single runs in the first two innings against Carrasco on a Ruggiano RBI groundout, and a Richard double. That was enough for Heath Phillips (3-3). Phillips allowed just three hits over the first six innings before allowing three two-out runs in the seventh. After giving up a base hit, RJ Swindle and Dale Thayer retired the final seven Columbus hitters to close out the game.
Durham, now 23-14, has the IL's best record, one game better than the Clippers, who lead the West Division at 22-15. The Bulls, 2-0 on an eight-game road trip, will send Aneury Rodriguez (2-1) to the mound on Sunday afternoon against Josh Tomlin in a match-up of righties. Coverage on 620 the Buzz begins at 12:50 p.m. with first pitch at 1:05.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 15, 2010
- Orioles Option INF Rhyne Hughes to Triple-A Norfolk - Norfolk Tides
- Syracuse hands PawSox a 6-4 win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Duo Doubles Up Tribe In Toledo 7-3 Victory - Indianapolis Indians
- G-Braves' Resop allows only 1 hit in 4-1 win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Durham Wins Fourth Straight Behind Shealy Slam - Durham Bulls
- Eighth inning errors lead PawSox past Chiefs - Pawtucket Red Sox
- IronPigs Game Notes on May 15, 2010 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Lineups for Columbus Vs. Durham - Columbus Clippers
- Red Wings to Honor RIT Mens Hockey Team on May 17 - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse Game Notes - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.