Drive Outlast RiverDogs 10-8 on Saturday
Charleston, SC - Tanner Nishioka's two-run double highlighted a three-run top of the ninth inning that helped the Greenville Drive defeat the Charleston RiverDogs 10-8 in a wild game on Saturday night.
Despite having seen a 6-0 lead evaporate over the late innings of the game, the Drive (20-15, 45-59) wasted no time in taking back the lead in the ninth against Anderson Severino (2-3). Tanner Nishioka continued his stellar series as he lined a go-ahead two-run double to score Ryan Fitzgerald and Garrett Benge, and Zach Sterry followed with an RBI single to bring Nishioka home for an insurance run.
The Drive offense jumped out to a big lead through the first four innings. Marino Campana lined an RBI double to right in the first, and a three-run second included a two-run single from Charlie Madden and an RBI single from Fitzgerald. A passed ball and a wild pitch in the third and fourth innings, respectively, pushed the lead to 6-0.
The RiverDogs (17-17, 50-52) methodically worked their way back into the game. Leonardo Molina drove in the first three runs with a pair of singles, and Chris Hess added an RBI single in the sixth to make it a 6-4 game.
Sterry drove in a run with a double in the top of the seventh, but Dermis Garcia's two-run homer trimmed the Drive lead to 7-6 in the bottom half, and Welfrin Mateo's single in the eighth tied the game up.
Dominic LoBrutto (2-0) recorded the win for the Drive in relief, and Devon Fisher earned his sixth save.
Nishioka and Sterry each went 3-5 with two RBI on Saturday. Fitzgerald and Kervin Suarez added two hits apiece.
The Drive will go for a sweep of the three-game series on Sunday afternoon at 5:05. Right-hander Hildemaro Requena (3-3, 5.40) takes the mound, and he will be opposed by RiverDogs right-hander Roansy Contreras (0-1, 1.50).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 28, 2018
- Pompey Collects 4 Hits on Xmas (In July) - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Late Flourish Propels 'Birds Past K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Boiled Peanuts Crack in Ninth, Fall to Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Antequera Delivers BruceClaws Walk-Off 3-2 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tetreault's Strong Outing Not Enough as BlueClaws Walk- off Suns - Hagerstown Suns
- Matias Blasts 30th Homer Of The Season In 4-2 Victory Over Braves - Lexington Legends
- Drive Outlast RiverDogs 10-8 on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Drop Game Two - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Edged out by Asheville 4-3 Saturday Night - West Virginia Power
- Rennie Torments Augusta Again, Guides Columbia to Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- Upbeat Tourists Hold off Power in Win - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 28 at Augusta (Game 102) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 28) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Riding 17-Inning Scoreless Streak - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.