Fireflies Game Notes: July 28 at Augusta (Game 102)
Columbia Fireflies (14-20, 48-53) @ Augusta GreenJackets (14-21, 51-52)
RHP Luc Rennie (1-0, 0.83) vs. RHP Jose Marte (7-4, 3.59)
Sat., July 28, 2018 - SRP Park (No. Augusta, SC) - First Pitch 6:05 p.m. - Game 102
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
ABOUT LAST GAME: Marcel Renteria and Yeizo Campos tamed Augusta's offense for nearly 10 innings, but it was the home team that came out on top in Friday's opener. The GreenJackets bested Columbia in 10 innings, 2-1. Campos punched out a career-high nine over 4.2 frames out of the bullpen. The two runs he allowed were both unearned.
RUNS ON PREMIUM: Neither team scored a run over the first nine innings of Friday's game. This is the second time this season Columbia has played in a game featuring no runs in regulation (9 inn.). On May 7, the Fireflies and Lakewood BlueClaws played into the 10th frame with the score, 0-0. Columbia dropped that game, 5-1, in 10.
THE INTERSTATE-20 RIVALRY: Columbia and Augusta have met 19 times this season. Ten of these battles have been decided by two runs or less and three have needed extra frames to determine a winner. Here's the top performing offensive player for each team in the series:
Hansel Moreno: .318, 2 2B, 1 3B Manuel Geraldo: .283, 8 RBI
The pitching has been most impressive in the series. The Fireflies own a 2.74 ERA against the GreenJackets over 19 games, while Augusta's pitching staff carries a 3.31 mark.
DOMINATION: Luc Rennie starts on Saturday for the first time since striking out a career-high and Fireflies single-game record 14 batters on Sunday, July 22. Coincidentally enough, that start was against Augusta. Rennie described the outing as the best of his professional career.
LIL FONZIE: Edgardo Alfonzo's nephew, Gio, has had a great week at the plate for the Fireflies. The 25-year-old is on a six-game hitting streak after driving in Columbia's only run on Friday. Alfonzo has been the ultimate utility player as well, playing six different positions this season.
ADJUSTMENT: Edgardo Fermin has played 72 games at shortstop this season. However, recently, the 20-year-old has shifted to centerfield. He's only started 12 total games in centerfield, including his last four. Also worth noting, Fermin notched his sixth three-hit game of the year on Fri.
THE OTHER GUYS: Here are the Giants prospects on Augusta's roster (as ranked by MLB.com):
2. OF Heliot Ramos 21. RHP Camilo Doval
10. INF Jacob Gonzalez 28. RHP Garrett Cave
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 28, 2018
- Pompey Collects 4 Hits on Xmas (In July) - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Late Flourish Propels 'Birds Past K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Boiled Peanuts Crack in Ninth, Fall to Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Antequera Delivers BruceClaws Walk-Off 3-2 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tetreault's Strong Outing Not Enough as BlueClaws Walk- off Suns - Hagerstown Suns
- Matias Blasts 30th Homer Of The Season In 4-2 Victory Over Braves - Lexington Legends
- Drive Outlast RiverDogs 10-8 on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Drop Game Two - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Edged out by Asheville 4-3 Saturday Night - West Virginia Power
- Rennie Torments Augusta Again, Guides Columbia to Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- Upbeat Tourists Hold off Power in Win - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 28 at Augusta (Game 102) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 28) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Riding 17-Inning Scoreless Streak - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Moreno Homers But Columbia's Win Streak Snapped
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 22 vs. Greenville (Game 46)
- Big Fourth Inning Propels Fireflies to Win
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 21 vs. Greenville (Game 45)
- Chambers Collects Four Hits, Fireflies Split with Rome