Tetreault's Strong Outing Not Enough as BlueClaws Walk- off Suns
Lakewood, NJ - Jackson Tetreault struck out eight over seven innings of work while Alex Dunlap homered for the third time in two games as the Lakewood BlueClaws walked-off the Hagerstown Suns 3-2 on Saturday evening at FirstEnergy Park. Hagerstown falls to 12-21 in the second half with an overall record of 39-62 and will play the series finale with a 1:05 PM first pitch that will also conclude the season series with Lakewood.
The Suns plated the first run of the ballgame in the opening frame against Lakewood starter David Parkinson. With two outs, Gage Canning singled to left-center and stole second with an errant throw from Rodolfo Duran going into center and allowing Canning to move to third. Jake Scudder singled down the left-field line in the next at-bat, plating Canning and giving Hagerstown a 1-0 advantage.
Dunlap extended the Suns lead in the fourth by flexing his muscles against Parkinson and the BlueClaws. In a 3-1 count, Dunlap hammered his third homer in two nights over the left-center field wall, extending the Suns lead to 2-0. Dunlap's fourth homer of the season traveled 407 feet.
Lakewood halved the Suns lead in the bottom of the fifth against Hagerstown starter Tetreault. With two outs, Quincy Nieporte went to third on a three-base error after Armond Upshaw lost a fly ball in the lights. Jose Antequera followed up with a single to right, scoring Nieporte and making it a 2-1 game.
The BlueClaws struck again in the ninth to pick up their second-straight come from behind win against the Suns, this time in walk-off fashion with Jared Brasher on the mound. Nick Maton tripled to right and, with one out, Duran singled to center to score Maton and tie the game. Nieporte singled to left-center field with Duran hustling to third on the play and Antequera singled to right to plate Duran and give the BlueClaws a walk-off win with a final score of 3-2.
Tetreault threw seven innings, allowing one unearned run on five hits with a walk and eight strikeouts in a no decision. Brasher (0-3) took a loss and a blown save, throwing one and one-third innings while allowing two runs on five hits.
Notes: Tetreault tied a career-high with his seven innings pitched... It's the fifth time in his career he's done so, all of which have come this season... Tetreault has struck out eight or more four times this season... He earned his seventh quality start of the year which leads the active roster... The Suns have 35 quality starts on the season... Eight Suns had a hit in Saturday's game... Dunlap's homer extended his hit streak to three games... Freeman, Scudder, and Upshaw also have three-game hit streaks... Scudder drove in his 38th RBI of the season which leads the team... The Suns are 4-4 on the road on Saturdays and 8-5 overalll... It's the only day of the week where they have a winning record... They've also hit 10 homers on Saturdays, tied with Thursday for the most in any day of the week... The Suns and BlueClaws will play the season-series finale on Sunday with a 1:05 PM first pitch... The Suns will send RHP Malvin Pena (2-0, 2.40 ERA) to the mound against BlueClaws RHP Gustavo Armas (0-1, 2.77 ERA)... The broadcast can be heard, starting with the pregame show at 12:50 PM on www.hagerstownsuns.com by going to multimedia tab and clicking on "Listen Live"... The broadcast is also available on the Hagerstown Suns Radio Network in the Tune-In Radio and MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 28, 2018
- Pompey Collects 4 Hits on Xmas (In July) - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Late Flourish Propels 'Birds Past K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Boiled Peanuts Crack in Ninth, Fall to Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Antequera Delivers BruceClaws Walk-Off 3-2 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tetreault's Strong Outing Not Enough as BlueClaws Walk- off Suns - Hagerstown Suns
- Matias Blasts 30th Homer Of The Season In 4-2 Victory Over Braves - Lexington Legends
- Drive Outlast RiverDogs 10-8 on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Drop Game Two - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Edged out by Asheville 4-3 Saturday Night - West Virginia Power
- Rennie Torments Augusta Again, Guides Columbia to Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- Upbeat Tourists Hold off Power in Win - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 28 at Augusta (Game 102) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 28) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Riding 17-Inning Scoreless Streak - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.