Rennie Torments Augusta Again, Guides Columbia to Victory
NORTH AUGUSTA, SC - Not even a week had passed since Luc Rennie last tormented GreenJackets hitters. The right-hander did it again on Saturday at SRP Park. Just six days after punching out 14 Augusta batters (a Fireflies single-game franchise record), Rennie struck out nine more over six innings and guided Columbia to a 5-1 win.
Rennie - who was signed by the Mets out of the independent Frontier League on July 5 - did not allow an earned run on Saturday and watched as his scintillating ERA shrunk to 0.65. The 24-year-old has now logged 27.2 innings as a Firefly and has surrendered just two earned runs and posted 37 strikeouts. Before allowing an unearned run in the sixth frame against Augusta (15-21, 51-53), Rennie had posted 20.1 consecutive scoreless innings.
Rennie received all the run support he needed in the second frame, a five-run inning highlighted by Hansel Moreno's three-run inside-the-park home run. It was the first inside-the-park homer in Fireflies team history.
Carlos Hernandez and Taylor Henry combined to log three scoreless innings out of the Columbia (15-20, 49-53) bullpen to secure the victory.
TOP 2 - Carlos Sanchez sac fly drives in Gio Alfonzo ... Edgardo Fermin plates Dionis Paulino with a single ... Hansel Moreno drills inside-the-park home run. COL 5, AUG 0
BOTTOM 6 - Malique Ziegler scores Rob Calabrese with a base hit
Sunday's tilt between Columbia and Augusta is a winner-take-the-series finale. First pitch is scheduled for 5:05 ET and the Fireflies turn to righty Chris Viall (3-6, 4.84). He'll be opposed on the mound by GreenJackets right-hander Garrett Cave (5-6, 4.79).
You can listen to the action on FOX Sports Radio 1400 AM, ColumbiaFireflies.com and the iHeartRadio Radio app starting at 4:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 28, 2018
- Pompey Collects 4 Hits on Xmas (In July) - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Late Flourish Propels 'Birds Past K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Boiled Peanuts Crack in Ninth, Fall to Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Antequera Delivers BruceClaws Walk-Off 3-2 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tetreault's Strong Outing Not Enough as BlueClaws Walk- off Suns - Hagerstown Suns
- Matias Blasts 30th Homer Of The Season In 4-2 Victory Over Braves - Lexington Legends
- Drive Outlast RiverDogs 10-8 on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Drop Game Two - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Edged out by Asheville 4-3 Saturday Night - West Virginia Power
- Rennie Torments Augusta Again, Guides Columbia to Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- Upbeat Tourists Hold off Power in Win - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 28 at Augusta (Game 102) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 28) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Riding 17-Inning Scoreless Streak - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Rasquin Leads Chicharrones to First Walk-Off Win
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 18 vs. Hickory (Game 14)
- Rasquin, Mauricio Lead Fireflies to Victory and Series Win
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 17 at Rome (Game 13)
- Butto Shines, But Columbia Falls in Middle Game of Series