Rennie Torments Augusta Again, Guides Columbia to Victory
NORTH AUGUSTA, SC - Not even a week had passed since Luc Rennie last tormented GreenJackets hitters. The right-hander did it again on Saturday at SRP Park. Just six days after punching out 14 Augusta batters (a Fireflies single-game franchise record), Rennie struck out nine more over six innings and guided Columbia to a 5-1 win.
Rennie - who was signed by the Mets out of the independent Frontier League on July 5 - did not allow an earned run on Saturday and watched as his scintillating ERA shrunk to 0.65. The 24-year-old has now logged 27.2 innings as a Firefly and has surrendered just two earned runs and posted 37 strikeouts. Before allowing an unearned run in the sixth frame against Augusta (15-21, 51-53), Rennie had posted 20.1 consecutive scoreless innings.
Rennie received all the run support he needed in the second frame, a five-run inning highlighted by Hansel Moreno's three-run inside-the-park home run. It was the first inside-the-park homer in Fireflies team history.
Carlos Hernandez and Taylor Henry combined to log three scoreless innings out of the Columbia (15-20, 49-53) bullpen to secure the victory.
TOP 2 - Carlos Sanchez sac fly drives in Gio Alfonzo ... Edgardo Fermin plates Dionis Paulino with a single ... Hansel Moreno drills inside-the-park home run. COL 5, AUG 0
BOTTOM 6 - Malique Ziegler scores Rob Calabrese with a base hit
Sunday's tilt between Columbia and Augusta is a winner-take-the-series finale. First pitch is scheduled for 5:05 ET and the Fireflies turn to righty Chris Viall (3-6, 4.84). He'll be opposed on the mound by GreenJackets right-hander Garrett Cave (5-6, 4.79).
You can listen to the action on FOX Sports Radio 1400 AM, ColumbiaFireflies.com and the iHeartRadio Radio app starting at 4:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 28, 2018
- Pompey Collects 4 Hits on Xmas (In July) - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Late Flourish Propels 'Birds Past K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Boiled Peanuts Crack in Ninth, Fall to Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Antequera Delivers BruceClaws Walk-Off 3-2 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tetreault's Strong Outing Not Enough as BlueClaws Walk- off Suns - Hagerstown Suns
- Matias Blasts 30th Homer Of The Season In 4-2 Victory Over Braves - Lexington Legends
- Drive Outlast RiverDogs 10-8 on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Drop Game Two - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Edged out by Asheville 4-3 Saturday Night - West Virginia Power
- Rennie Torments Augusta Again, Guides Columbia to Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- Upbeat Tourists Hold off Power in Win - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 28 at Augusta (Game 102) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 28) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Riding 17-Inning Scoreless Streak - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.