Drive Outduel GreenJackets 2-1 on Tuesday
Greenville, SC - Brayan Bello delivered five terrific innings in his Greenville Drive debut on Tuesday night to lead the team to a 2-1 victory over the Augusta GreenJackets at Fluor Field.
Bello (1-0) held the GreenJackets (2-3) to just two hits and one run over five innings of work. The 19 year-old issued one walk and struck out three hitters in the Drive (3-2) victory.
The Drive jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the third inning. Alan Marrero lined a one-out double off the Green Monster, and he came in to score on Kervin Suarez's single to right-center. Suarez scored with two outs in the inning when Sean Hjelle (0-1) uncorked a wild pitch.
Augusta scratched across their lone run of the game in the fourth. Ismael Munguia smacked the first pitch of the inning into the right field corner for a double, and he came in later on an RBI groundout by Shane Matheny.
The Drive bullpen took over in the final two innings of the game. Yoan Aybar struck out the final batter of the sixth as part of a 1-2-3 inning, and Alex Demchak retired the GreenJackets in order in the seventh to notch his first save.
Cole Brannen notched two hits to lead the Greenville offense.
Tuesday's game was game one of a scheduled doubleheader, but due to the delayed start time of the game because of rain in the area, the second game of the doubleheader was postponed until a later date.
The teams will play their regularly scheduled game on Wednesday night at Fluor Field at 7:05. The Drive will send right-hander Hunter Haworth (0-1, 0.00) to the mound as they look for a sweep in the abbreviated series. Augusta will counter with right-hander Blake Rivera.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 9, 2019
- 'Birds Storm Back for Extra-Inning Stunner - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Vizcaino Impresses Early, Tourists Rally Late to Sweep RiverDogs in Tuesday Twin Bill - Charleston RiverDogs
- Grand Slams Emphasize Double-Header Sweep - Asheville Tourists
- Alastre Falters in Suns 6-3 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Lexington Legends Fall to West Virginia Power in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Gilbert Dominates in 4-0 Shutout of Legends - West Virginia Power
- Drive Outduel GreenJackets 2-1 on Tuesday - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Fall 2-1 in 7-Inning Contest - Augusta GreenJackets
- Lindow, Claws Top Suns for Third Straight Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Seek Nominations for the 3rd Annual Military Hero Baseball Card Set Pres. by AllSouth FCU - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (April 9) - West Virginia Power
- Braves and Fireflies Rained Out in Tuesday Matinee - Rome Braves
- Promo Preview: Opening Night, Fireworks and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Today's Fireflies Reading Program Day Game Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Columbia Fireflies
- Braves Drop Opener in Columbia 7-4 - Rome Braves
- Rasquin Leads Columbia to Victory - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- Tickets on Sale Now for the 2020 College and High School Schedule at Fluor Field
- Greenville Drive Look to Better Engage Fans with StellarAlgo Partnership
- Drive Hot Stove Event Kicks-Off 15th Anniversary Season on February 3rd
- Drive Announces Coaching Staff for 15th Anniversary Season
- Greenville Drive Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball