Dr. Bob Smillie to Receive WHL Distinguished Service Award Friday, March 1 vs. Seattle
Kamloops, BC - Dr. Bob Smillie will receive the WHL Distinguished Service Award in a ceremony prior to the Kamloops Blazers home game on Friday, March 1st versus the Seattle Thunderbirds.
"I cannot think of a more deserving recipient of the WHL Distinguished Service Award than Bob Smillie," said Don Moores, President and Chief Operating Officer for the Kamloops Blazers. "Bob has been a tremendous ambassador of the Kamloops Blazers Hockey Club in so many different capacities over the years. He exemplifies what 'extraordinary contributions' are when it comes to the amount of time and effort he has spent to help better our hockey club and the WHL."
Dr. Smillie has been involved with junior hockey in Kamloops since 1973-1974 when he was the Team Doctor for the Kamloops Chiefs. Dr. Smillie has been involved with the Kamloops Jr. Oilers / Blazers franchise since the hockey club moved to Kamloops in 1981. He has held a variety of roles in a volunteer capacity including Team Doctor, Education Liasion, Board of Directors Member and is currently the Executive Director of the Kamloops Sports Legacy Fund. The Kamloops Sports Legacy Fund began with the sale of the Kamloops Blazers in 2007 and has contributed over $3.26 million to local community sports groups in the Thompson-Nicola Region.
"Having served in a volunteer capacity with the Kamloops Blazers organization for close to 40 years, Bob Smillie exemplifies what the WHL Distinguished Service Award is all about," commented WHL Commissioner Ron Robison. "From his role as a longtime board member with the Blazers, to serving as the Team Doctor and Education Advisor and now in his current role as head of the Blazers Sports Legacy Fund, Bob has played an integral role in the Blazers franchise and it is only fitting he is a recipient of this prestigious award."
The WHL Distinguished Service Award, which was introduced by the WHL in 2004, is presented annually to individuals who have worked tirelessly behind the scenes on behalf of WHL franchises and in doing so have made an extraordinary contribution at the Club and League levels over an extended period. Two previous recipients of the WHL Distinguished Service Award include Kamloops Blazers contributors Dennis Coates (Board Member) and Doris Rubel (Billet Coordinator).
For ticketing information, please contact Jim or David at 250-828-1144 or by email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 27, 2019
- Pats Stopped by Rebels - Regina Pats
- Raiders Stay Firm at Second in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Focht, Elder Steal Spotlight as Hitmen Beat Broncos - Swift Current Broncos
- 2019 #WHLPlayoffs Clinching Scenarios for February 27 - Tri-City Americans
- Hitmen Pile on Broncos, 9-3 - Calgary Hitmen
- Chiefs Sign Forward Reed Jacobson to WHL Agreement - Spokane Chiefs
- Wheat Kings Captain Named Telus Player of the Month - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Canada West Announces Conference Award Winners - WHL
- Dr. Bob Smillie to Receive WHL Distinguished Service Award Friday, March 1 vs. Seattle - Kamloops Blazers
- 2019 WHL U.S. Prospect Skills Combine: Dallas Now Accepting Applications - WHL
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Wednesday, February 27 vs. Swift Current - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Preview: Pats Look for Fourth Straight Home Win Wednesday against Red Deer - Regina Pats
- Chiefs Emerge Winners in Wild Finish - Prince George Cougars
- Blades Win See-Saw Affair with Canes - Saskatoon Blades
- Rebels Explode for Seven Goals in Rout of Warriors - Red Deer Rebels
- Entire Silvertips Roster to Serve at All El Paraiso Mexican Grill Locations on Wednesday, February 27 - Everett Silvertips
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kamloops Blazers Stories
- Quinn Schmiemann on NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings
- Blazers and Lajoie Mutually Part Ways
- Zary, Garand, Lang to Participate in Under-18 Training Camps
- Kamloops Blazers Sign Alex Kilba to a One-Day Contract
- Dr. Bob Smillie to Receive WHL Distinguished Service Award Friday, March 1 vs. Seattle