Dominant Pitching Backs 'Cats Win in Lowell
TROY, NY - The Tri-City ValleyCats used a dominant pitching performance to lock down their second shutout of the season on Wednesday night in Lowell, winning by a score of 7-0.
Brett Conine started the game with 3.2 scoreless innings, before Ernesto Jaquez pitched through the seventh to earn the win in his ValleyCats debut and Austin Hansen finished the job with two hitless innings.
Offensively, the ValleyCats entered the day coming off of a game where they had a season-low two hits against the Aberdeen Ironbirds. They rebounded with a demanding seven runs on 12 hits.
Ramiro Rodriguez, Oscar Campos, Logan Mattix and Andy Pineda each collected a pair, while Deury Carrasco led the way with a 3-for-3 day at the plate.
Campos opened up the scoring in the second inning with his third home run of the season. His two runs batted in were tied with Carlos Machado for the most on the team.
Now with a record of 39-31, the ValleyCats have shrunk their magic number to two, entering Thursday's game in Lowell with a chance to clinch a spot in the playoffs.
First pitch will be at 6:35 p.m., as the ValleyCats send righty Manny Ramirez to the mound, opposing Spinners' righty Chase Shugart.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 29, 2018
- Dominant Pitching Backs 'Cats Win in Lowell - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Spikes Fall to Black Bears, Lantigua's Cycle in 13-3 Defeat - State College Spikes
- Bullied by Brooklyn - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Vaughan And Cohen Lead Vermont To 10-3 Win At Staten Island - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Cutters Suspended In Auburn - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Scrappers Game Tonight against Batavia Postponed - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- 'Clones Tame Monsters, 8-6 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- IronBirds Take Fifth Series in a Row - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Food Fight Maple Kings vs. Pizza Rats Friday, August 31 - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Staten Island Pizza Rats Face off against Vermont Maple Kings - Staten Island Yankees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tri-City ValleyCats Stories
- Introducing the Inaugural 518 Futures High School Baseball Classic
- ValleyCats, American Cancer Society to Host 7th Annual High School Baseball Fundraiser
- Jimi Hendrix Bobblehead on Summer of Love Night Caps ValleyCats 2019 Promotional Calendar
- Renovations to Four Youth Ball Fields Set for April 11 as Part of Annual '4 in 24'
- ValleyCats Reveal First Round of Exciting 2019 Promotions