Dirocie Goes Yard, Columbia Drops Pair of One-Run Games
COLUMBIA, SC - Saturday's doubleheader against Hickory was as competitive as could be. Both games were decided by one run with Columbia falling to the Crawdads 3-2 in game one and 5-4 in game two. Anthony Dirocie had quite the day - the Fireflies outfielder finished with three hits, one of which his second homer of the week, and four RBI.
Hickory (12-4) bested Columbia (7-9) in extras in game one. The Fireflies rallied for a game-tying run in the bottom of the seventh inning to tie the score at two. It was Dirocie who scored Bradley Marquez. The Crawdads pulled back ahead with a score in the top of the eighth. The Fireflies could not answer.
Dirocie's three-run blast in game two came in the bottom of the seventh. It pulled Columbia back within a run, although the home team rallied for no further runs.
Hickory's two homers in game two proved to be the difference, including Chad Smith's two-run shot in the top of the seventh.
Columbia's starters pitched particularly well on Saturday. First it was Simeon Woods-Richardson, who logged four scoreless innings in the first game. Then in the nightcap, Dedniel Nunez struck out eight over five innings.
SCORING SUMMARY, GAME ONE:
Bottom 2: Wagner Lagrange drives in Hayden Senger with a base hit. COL 1, HIC 0
Top 5: Sam Huff and Jonathan Ornelas rip solo homers. HIC 2, COL 1
Bottom 7: Anthony Dirocie scores the tying-run with a base hit. COL 2, HIC 2
Top 8: Chris Sease triples, scores Ornelas. HIC 3, COL 2
SCORING SUMMARY, GAME TWO:
Bottom 1: Zach Rheams doubles, scores Walter Rasquin. COL 1, HIC 0
Top 4: Huff hits three-run homer. HIC 3, COL1
Top 7: Chad Smith smacks two-run home run. HIC 5, COL 1
Bottom 7: Dirocie smashes three-run homer. HIC 5, COL 4
NEXT GAME INFO:
Date: April 22, 2019, 7:05 p.m.
Opponent: West Virginia Power
Location: Appalachian Power Park - Charleston, West Virginia
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 20, 2019
- Rome Edges Drive, 5-4, in Series Finale - Greenville Drive
- Dirocie Goes Yard, Columbia Drops Pair of One-Run Games - Columbia Fireflies
- Streak Ends as 'Hoppers Bludgeon 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Lockridge Bails out RiverDogs for Series Finale Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hjelle Goes Six Strong, But Charleston Steals Series Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Fall on Saturday in Final Game of Homestand - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tourists Take Game One of Double-Header from Power - Asheville Tourists
- Power Falls in Game One, 8-5; Game Two Suspended in Top 4 - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 20 Doubleheader vs. Hickory (Games 15 & 16) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (April 20) - West Virginia Power
- Luis Gil Dominates over Five Innings, Dogs Cough up Ninth Inning Lead in Eventual Extras Loss - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Mason in Search of a Trick-Or-Treating Partner
- Ballpark Digest Names Segra Park "Class A Ballpark of the Decade"
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta