Dirocie Goes Yard, Columbia Drops Pair of One-Run Games
COLUMBIA, SC - Saturday's doubleheader against Hickory was as competitive as could be. Both games were decided by one run with Columbia falling to the Crawdads 3-2 in game one and 5-4 in game two. Anthony Dirocie had quite the day - the Fireflies outfielder finished with three hits, one of which his second homer of the week, and four RBI.
Hickory (12-4) bested Columbia (7-9) in extras in game one. The Fireflies rallied for a game-tying run in the bottom of the seventh inning to tie the score at two. It was Dirocie who scored Bradley Marquez. The Crawdads pulled back ahead with a score in the top of the eighth. The Fireflies could not answer.
Dirocie's three-run blast in game two came in the bottom of the seventh. It pulled Columbia back within a run, although the home team rallied for no further runs.
Hickory's two homers in game two proved to be the difference, including Chad Smith's two-run shot in the top of the seventh.
Columbia's starters pitched particularly well on Saturday. First it was Simeon Woods-Richardson, who logged four scoreless innings in the first game. Then in the nightcap, Dedniel Nunez struck out eight over five innings.
SCORING SUMMARY, GAME ONE:
Bottom 2: Wagner Lagrange drives in Hayden Senger with a base hit. COL 1, HIC 0
Top 5: Sam Huff and Jonathan Ornelas rip solo homers. HIC 2, COL 1
Bottom 7: Anthony Dirocie scores the tying-run with a base hit. COL 2, HIC 2
Top 8: Chris Sease triples, scores Ornelas. HIC 3, COL 2
SCORING SUMMARY, GAME TWO:
Bottom 1: Zach Rheams doubles, scores Walter Rasquin. COL 1, HIC 0
Top 4: Huff hits three-run homer. HIC 3, COL1
Top 7: Chad Smith smacks two-run home run. HIC 5, COL 1
Bottom 7: Dirocie smashes three-run homer. HIC 5, COL 4
NEXT GAME INFO:
Date: April 22, 2019, 7:05 p.m.
Opponent: West Virginia Power
Location: Appalachian Power Park - Charleston, West Virginia
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 20, 2019
- Rome Edges Drive, 5-4, in Series Finale - Greenville Drive
- Dirocie Goes Yard, Columbia Drops Pair of One-Run Games - Columbia Fireflies
- Streak Ends as 'Hoppers Bludgeon 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Lockridge Bails out RiverDogs for Series Finale Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hjelle Goes Six Strong, But Charleston Steals Series Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Fall on Saturday in Final Game of Homestand - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Tourists Take Game One of Double-Header from Power - Asheville Tourists
- Power Falls in Game One, 8-5; Game Two Suspended in Top 4 - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 20 Doubleheader vs. Hickory (Games 15 & 16) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (April 20) - West Virginia Power
- Luis Gil Dominates over Five Innings, Dogs Cough up Ninth Inning Lead in Eventual Extras Loss - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.