Fireflies Game Notes: April 20 Doubleheader vs. Hickory (Games 15 & 16)
Chicharrones de Columbia (7-7) @ Llamas de Hickory (10-4)
Game 1: RHP S. Woods-Richardson(0-1, 2.35) vs. RHP Jean Casanova (0-0, 5.63)
Game 2: RHP Dedniel Nunez (2-0, 3.97) vs. LHP John King (0-1, 4.00)
Sat., April 20, 2019 - Segra Park - First Pitch 5:05 p.m. - Games 15 & 16
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Walter Rasquin's bases-loaded two-out single in the bottom of the ninth inning on Thursday lifted Columbia to a 4-3 walk-off win over Hickory. It was the first walk-off win of the season. The Fireflies scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth-with two outs, no less-to claim the win. Bradley Marquez first ripped an RBI base hit that tied the game before Rasquin's heroics shortly after.
WALK-OFF WALT: Remember, Rasquin not only drove in the game-winner on Thursday. In Wednesday's 2-1 win over Rome, Rasquin knocked in both runs en route to the Fireflies winning the series. The Venezuelan is hitting .295 through his first 10 games of the season.
"HE'S NOT AFRAID": Ronny Mauricio's .345 batting average is third-best in the league and his 19 total hits are the most in the South Atlantic League.
DOUBLEHEADER: Friday's game against Hickory was postponed due to rain. Columbia will have it's first doubleheader of the year on Saturday.
CHICHARRONES DE COLUMBIA: The Fireflies have partnered with Minor League Baseball as it heads into year two if its Copa de la Diversion initiative. Columbia is one of 72 teams that'll change its name and logo for multiple games throughout the season (in this case, April 18-20) to connect with the Latin community. As Columbia was searching for a Copa identity, a constant culinary theme across all nations was found that is represented in our community: Chicharrónes. Chicharrones are a pork dish featuring either pork belly or pork rinds and are a staple in the diets of people throughout these countries, albeit with national variations from country to country.
FOLLOW THE LAW: Senior baseball writer at ESPN, Keith Law, ranked Columbia's roster as the 7th-most "Loaded Roster" in all of Minor League Baseball. Law recognized the fact Columbia's roster includes the Mets' past two second-round draft choices (Simeon Woods-Richardson, Mark Vientos), the system's third-rated prospect (Ronny Mauricio), according to Baseball America, and left-hander Thomas Szapucki (drafted in the fifth round in 2015) who returned after missing the entire 2018 season following Tommy John surgery.
YOUTHFUL ENERGY: Columbia's 2019 roster features three teenagers: SS Ronny Mauricio (18), RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson (18) and 3B Mark Vientos (19). All are considered top-10 rated Mets prospects. The Fireflies roster currently includes nine players aged 21 or younger. Columbia's opening day roster was the youngest (average age 21.6) ever. Take a look below for more information on the prospects in Columbia in 2019.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 20, 2019
- Rome Edges Drive, 5-4, in Series Finale - Greenville Drive
- Dirocie Goes Yard, Columbia Drops Pair of One-Run Games - Columbia Fireflies
- Streak Ends as 'Hoppers Bludgeon 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Lockridge Bails out RiverDogs for Series Finale Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hjelle Goes Six Strong, But Charleston Steals Series Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Fall on Saturday in Final Game of Homestand - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Tourists Take Game One of Double-Header from Power - Asheville Tourists
- Power Falls in Game One, 8-5; Game Two Suspended in Top 4 - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 20 Doubleheader vs. Hickory (Games 15 & 16) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (April 20) - West Virginia Power
- Luis Gil Dominates over Five Innings, Dogs Cough up Ninth Inning Lead in Eventual Extras Loss - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.