Delome Slams Express Past Beavers, 4-2
Collin DeLome hit his second grand slam in four days and Yorman Bazardo hurled six scoreless innings as the Round Rock Express defeated the Portland Beavers 4-2 at PGE Park Wednesday night.
DeLome, who leads the PCL with three grand slams, including one Sunday in Tacoma, cranked Radhames Liz's (7-8) first pitch down the right field line with the bases loaded in the sixth to break a scoreless tie. J.B. Shuck, Brian Bogusevic and Matt Kata contributed two hits apiece as the Express (52-73) won their seventh straight game against the Beavers (48-77).
Bazardo (4-4) scattered four hits and a walk across six scoreless innings and struck out three.
Mike Baxter went 3-for-4 and stole his 20th base while Dusty Ryan helped Portland avoid a second straight shutout and end a 23-inning scoreless drought by ripping a two-run double in the ninth inning. Sean Kazmar and Nick Green pitched in with two hits each.
Liz and Bazardo dueled for five innings before Liz ran into trouble in the sixth. He finished with four earned runs on eight hits and a walk in six innings.
With one out in the sixth, Drew Locke started things off with a single to center. Bogusevic followed with a hard shot to third that Craig Stansberry could not make a play on. Kata then lined a single to center field and Luis Durango made a strong throw to the plate to keep Locke at third. It ultimately did not matter, as DeLome uncorked a fly ball just inside the right field foul pole to put Round Rock comfortably on top.
Portland rallied for two runs in the ninth inning as Ryan's double to center scored Cedric Hunter and Green. After Durango drew a two-out walk, pinch-hitter Wily Mo Peña stepped to the plate with two on and a chance to tie the game, but Casey Daigle struck him out on a 2-2 fastball to end the contest.
The Beavers and Express continue their series Thursday night at PGE Park at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific). Thursday's game is the final Miller Lite Thursday game of the season.
NOTES: Former Beaver Josh Banks, who pitched a six-hit shutout for Round Rock Tuesday night, pinch-ran in the ninth inning ... Baxter needs four home runs to become the second player in Beavers' modern franchise history to reach 20 home runs and 20 stolen bases in the same season (Bay, 2003).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 18, 2010
- Round Rock Express Slam Beavers 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Delome Slams Express Past Beavers, 4-2 - Portland Beavers
- Mortensen Collects 12th Victory As River Cats Top Cubs - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Hold on Against Albuquerque, 4-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Birds Blow out Bees - Memphis Redbirds
- Vegas Downs Z's 7-6 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Late Runs Doom Aces in 3-1 Loss to Oklahoma City - Reno Aces
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds, Sky Sox Rained out on Wednesday - Nashville Sounds
- Comeback Cats Clawing Their Way to First Place with 20 Games - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Express Plan Jay Miller Appreciation Night - Round Rock Express
- Jay Miller Named Rangers Senior Vice President - Round Rock Express
- Fans Asked for Team Name Ideas - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Roughed Up By Albuquerque - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss