Daniel Walcott Named Syracuse Crunch's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch are proud to announce that Daniel Walcott has been named the team's winner of the IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year award for his outstanding contributions to the Syracuse community during the 2019-20 season.
Over his five seasons with the Crunch, Walcott has consistently worked with a variety of organizations to become a socially informed and active member of the Syracuse community.
Walcott worked with PEACE, Inc. to become a member of the Big Brothers Big Sisters Program during the 2018-19 season. After a rigorous background check and interview process, he was matched with his little, Jeremiah. Walcott spent part of the summer in Syracuse where he purchased a house and continued to be a mentor for Jeremiah. His work with Jeremiah and the Big Brothers Big Sisters Program continued into the 2019-2020 season.
Being part of the Big Brothers Big Sisters program means making a large time commitment and becoming responsible as a mentor for a young member of the Syracuse community. In addition to activities, Walcott has spent two seasons building a relationship with Jeremiah as a role model. He helps Jeremiah with his homework and is in contact with Jeremiah's mother to help him with in-school behavior and responsibilities.
Walcott consistently maintains a strong relationship with both his team and the fan base. He continued to be a leader in the team's efforts to raise money and support the greater Syracuse community. During the holiday season, Walcott joined his teammates in decorating ornaments that were sold during a December game to support the team's Change for Change campaign benefitting Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital. He visited the children's hospital and spent time doing arts and crafts with the kids during BHG's annual holiday party. Additionally, he participated in celebrity bartending to raise money for the Upstate Cancer Center.
During his time in Syracuse, Walcott has become personally close with a number of fans and corporate partners. He wore an "I Fight For Bob Richards" patch on his jersey during the team's annual Hockey Fights Cancer Night to honor a friend and long-time Crunch season ticket holder during his battle.
Walcott has also spent his time at different schools, organizations and community centers. He continued the annual visit to Canton Woods Senior Center to spend an afternoon playing pool and shuffleboard with recreation members. He also visited French Clubs and local high schools to speak to the students about being bilingual and cultural diversity, while encouraging their study of another language.
To further his understanding of Syracuse, Walcott did ride-alongs with Officer Dave Demand of the Syracuse Police Department. These ride-alongs offered Walcott the opportunity to learn about the community and develop a stronger appreciation for local law enforcement.
Once the season was postponed, Walcott worked with the front office to take over the team's TikTok account and create content for fans. The content was meant to provide fans with some entertainment and laughs during a difficult time.
Walcott's positive energy and willingness to interact with the fans makes him a favorite in Syracuse. He consistently volunteers to participate in team events and motivates his teammates to do the same. He works with the front office to ensure he is in tune with community needs and puts his valuable time to good service. His involvement with the community and fans makes him a great role model on the team and a positive representative of the Syracuse Crunch organization.
Walcott is now one of 31 finalists for the AHL's 2019-20 Yanick Dupre Memorial Award, honoring the overall IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year. The league award is named after the former Hershey Bears forward and AHL All-Star who died in 1997 following a 16-month battle with leukemia. The winner of the Yanick Dupre Memorial Award will be announced by the American Hockey League at a later date.
Tickets packages for the 2020-21 season are on sale now and can be purchased by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 6, 2020
- IceHogs Head Coach Derek King Gives Updates on Facebook Live on Tuesday - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Wyatt Newpower to AHL Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Paul Thompson Named Springfield Thunderbirds 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Steven Fogarty Named Hartford Wolf Pack's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Jake Oettinger Named Stars' Man of the Year - Texas Stars
- Klimchuk Named Belleville's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Belleville Senators
- Forward Mike Liambas Named Iowa Wild's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Iowa Wild
- Mark Alt Named Colorado Eagles 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Colorado Eagles
- Hudson Fasching Named Roadrunners Man of Year - Tucson Roadrunners
- Keegan Lowe Named Condors Man of the Year - Bakersfield Condors
- Chris Wideman Named San Diego Gulls 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - San Diego Gulls
- Oscar Dansk Named Chicago Wolves' 2019-20 AHL Man of the Year - Chicago Wolves
- Jake Walman Named Rampage 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year - San Antonio Rampage
- Grosenick Named Admirals Man of the Year - Milwaukee Admirals
- Street Named Devils' 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Binghamton Devils
- Kurtis Gabriel Named Lehigh Valley's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Chris Terry Named Griffins' 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manuel Wiederer Named Barracuda '19-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - San Jose Barracuda
- Doyle Somerby Named Cleveland Monsters 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Cleveland Monsters
- Nathan Paetsch Named Amerks 2019-20 Ioa/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Rochester Americans
- Gibson Named Bridgeport's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Bridgeport Islanders
- Brett Sutter Named Reign's 2019-20 Ioa/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Ontario Reign
- Jake Evans Named Laval Rocket's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Laval Rocket
- Jimmy Oligny Named Moose 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Manitoba Moose
- Leslie Named Stockton's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Stockton Heat
- Kale Kessy Named Hershey's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Hershey Bears
- Daniel Walcott Named Syracuse Crunch's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Syracuse Crunch
- IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year Team Award Winners Announced - AHL
- Anthony Angello Named Penguins' Winner of IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 2-1
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Fredrik Claesson from Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Fall to Amerks, 5-3
- Tampa Bay Lightning Assign Defenseman Cal Foote to Syracuse Crunch for Conditioning
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Details for Party on the Plaza Presented by Galaxy Media October 23