D.C. United Signs Nick Van Sicklen and Jamil Walker
Washington, D.C. (March 8, 2005) - Midfielder Nick Van Sicklen and forward Jamil Walker both inked contracts with D.C. United today, the club announced. Van Sicklen, a rookie drafted in the second round (19th overall) of the 2005 Major League Soccer SuperDraft has been added to the 18-man senior roster. Walker, a key contributor as a rookie with San Jose during their MLS Cup Championship in 2003, has agreed to terms with the Black-and-Red as a Senior Developmental player. Per League and team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.
Nick has had a good pre-season training camp and we are pleased to offer him a spot on our Senior Roster, said United Technical Director Dave Kasper. We look forward to his future with our club.
Van Sicklen, 22, was a Tri-captain of the University of Wisconsin with 12 goals, seven assists and 31 points as a senior. He was named Wisconsin's Offensive Player of the Year and was selected to the All-Big Ten first team. He ranks fourth in Wisconsins all-time record book with 76 career points.
Walker, 23, was drafted in the fourth round of the 2003 MLS SuperDraft (39th overall). He started the first three games of his MLS career in the playoffs, scoring a goal and adding an assist. The Santa Clara alum set the Earthquakes club record for goals by a rookie in a season with four before being selected by Chivas USA in the MLS Expansion Draft. United acquired Walker from Chivas USA in exchange for a 2007 second round Supplemental Draft pick.
We are excited to have worked out a trade to acquire Jamil, added Kasper. He has terrific pace, a great attitude, and we expect solid contributions from him this season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 8, 2005
- Columbus Crew News And Notes For The Week Of March 7 - Columbus Crew SC
- MetroStars draw with Barcelona SC, 1-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake falls 2-0 to Recreativa Huelva - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Signs Nick Van Sicklen and Jamil Walker - D.C. United
- Rapids Weekly Notes - Colorado Rapids
- Wizards Host Deportivo Saprissa in Champions Cup Opener Tomorrow Night - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake and adidas to unveil jersey in Park City - Real Salt Lake
- Galaxy to play Real Madrid's "B" team Thursday - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy officially welcomed to Pamplona in city hall visit Tuesday - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy defeats Osasuna's "B" side, 2-1 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- 2005 Sierra Mist MLS All-Star Game Goes Global - MLS
- MLS All-Stars to face Brian McBride and Fulham in 2005 Sierra Mist MLS All-Star Game - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Duo Wayne Rooney and Luciano Acosta Make 2018 MLS Best XI
- D.C. United Defender Taylor Kemp Retires from Professional Soccer
- The FA to Honor Wayne Rooney
- D.C. United Fall to Columbus in Penalties
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS