Cutthroats Fall Short in 4-2 Loss to Tulsa
DENVER - Two power play goals in the opening minutes of the third period and Shane Madolora's 41 saves was the difference on Friday night as the Denver Cutthroats fell to the Tulsa Oilers by a 4-2 final at Denver Coliseum.
The Cutthroats outshot the Oilers 43-24 and finished 1-for-7 on the power play, but the game turned in the opening minutes of the third when Jeff Buvinow and Michael Beausoleil each scored power play goals for Tulsa (20-31-4) after Denver's Adam Smyth was tagged with a five-minute major and game-misconduct with 1:35 remaining in the second period. The two goals gave the Oilers a 3-1 lead.
Aaron MacKenzie scored with 3:39 left in the third off a centering feed by Brad Smyth to pull the Cutthroats (26-22-7) within one, but the Oilers added an empty-net goal in the final minute to seal the win.
AJ Gale opened up the scoring on the power play for Denver 6:05 into the second for his league-leading 32nd of the year in his first game back from a call-up to the American Hockey League's Lake Erie Monsters. Jason Weeks knotted the score four minutes later for Tulsa.
Kieran Millan took the loss, stopping 20 of 23 shots. The Cutthroats stay idle in sixth place in the Central Hockey League - two points back of the Missouri Mavericks and four back of the Rapid City Rush.
Tulsa finished 2-for-5 on the power play.
The Cutthroats and Oilers close out their weekend set on Saturday at 7:05 PM MST at the Denver Coliseum.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 2, 2013
- Rapid City Tops Arizona with 3-2 Win - Arizona Sundogs
- Cutthroats Bounce Back in 5-2 Win over Tulsa - Denver Cutthroats
- Americans Clinch a Playoff Spot with 3-2 Win over Missouri - Allen Americans
- Oilers End Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to Cutthroats - Tulsa Oilers
- Rush Double up Sundogs 4-2, Complete Weekend Sweep - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Defeated by Americans in Hard Fought Battle, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Snap Skid with 6-3 Win over Blaze - Wichita Thunder
- Blaze Battle After Early Deficit, Fall at Wichita - Bloomington Blaze
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspensions - CHL
- Voucher for Jersey, Free Ticket to Upcoming Game for First 1,000 Fans 12 and Under - Quad City Mallards
- Americans Shut Out Wichita 4-0 On Mcdonald's Night In Allen - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Lose Tough Battle against Rush, Final 2-0 - Arizona Sundogs
- Cutthroats Fall Short in 4-2 Loss to Tulsa - Denver Cutthroats
- Oilers Rise up on the Road for 4-2 Win over Cutthroats - Tulsa Oilers
- Rush Blank Sundogs 2-0 - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Quad City, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster