Cougars Top Bees in Extras
Burlington, Iowa - The Kane County Cougars knocked off the Burlington Bees, 5-4, in ten innings at Community Field on Wednesday night.
In the top of the fifth inning, the Cougars (18-17) broke a scoreless tie. Joey Rose led off the inning with a walk. Tim Susnara followed with a double to make it 1-0 Cougars. Yoel Yanqui added to the Cougars lead with an RBI single. The next batter, Eduardo Diaz, collected an infield single to plate another run and push the Cougars ahead 3-0. In the next half inning, the Bees (16-20) tallied two runs. Franklin Torres' single and Harrison Wenson's walk set up Leonardo Rivas' two-run double to cut the Cougar lead to 3-2.
In the top of the 8th, the Cougars received an insurance run on Ernie De La Trinidad's solo home run with one out, his second of the year.
With the Cougars leading 4-2 in the ninth, the Bees pieced together a rally. With one out, Jo Adell singled. With two outs, Torii Hunter walked. The next batter, David MacKinnon, doubled to right field to plate two runs and tie the score, 4-4.
In the tenth inning, Eudy Ramos hit a single to centerfield to advance Eduardo Diaz to third base with none out. With one out, Yan Sanchez flew out to center, driving in Diaz from third, giving the Cougars a 5-4 advantage. In the Bees' tenth inning, Wenson and Rivas stranded the tying run at third by striking out in back-to-back plate appearances.
Cougar starter Jeff Bain took no-decision. The right-hander went 5.2 innings, allowed two runs on five hits, striking out three and walking one. Erbert Gonzalez tossed a scoreless inning. Jordan Watson held the Bees off the board for 1.1 innings, striking out two batters. Cole Bartlett (2-0) earned the win, allowing two runs in two innings on two hits with four strikeouts.
Bees' starter Isaac Mattson took a no-decision. He allowed two runs on three hits over 4.1 innings. Austin Krzeminski scattered six hits, allowing two runs over 3.2 innings. Kida De La Cruz (1-2) took the loss, yielding an unearned run in the tenth inning.
The Cougars' conclude their four-game series with Burlington on Thursday night. The Cougars will send lefty Mack Lemieux (1-2, 3.71) to the mound. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 17, 2018
- TinCaps Offense Erupts in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- LumberKings avoid sweep with 7-2 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Julks' Home Run Propels Bandits to 2-1 Win over Kernels - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Five-Run Fifth Dooms 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Winning Streak Snapped at Seven - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Win Rubber Game over Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Heredia's 4 RBI Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Rondon, Hot Rods Beat Loons 5-4 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Nine Feels Fine: Lugs Sweep Dayton Again - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Top Dragons 4-1 to Complete Series Sweep - Dayton Dragons
- Sotillo Returns to Lugnuts, Hernandez Placed on DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Zach Davies to Start for Timber Rattlers on Saturday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Homestand Preview for May 18-24 - Dayton Dragons
- MiLB Honors Big Brothers Big Sisters of America Rising Star Students - Great Lakes Loons
- Kettering Health Network Presents the "Strike out Stroke" Event - Dayton Dragons
- Snappers Return for Seven-Game Homestand May 18th - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 17 vs. West Michigan (Game 39) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic Is Presenting Sponsor of Green & Gold Charity Softball Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Shutout Cubs 7-0 in Series Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Perez Deals, Captains Explode for Three Homers in Win - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Communication Error Cost Bees in Extra Innings - Burlington Bees
- Bees Use Big Sixth Inning to Take Down Cougars 9-3 - Burlington Bees
- Game Information: Beloit Snappers at Wisconsin Timber Rattlers - Beloit Snappers
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Captains and Cubs Split Marathon Doubleheader - Lake County Captains
- Cubs Split Doubleheader with Captains for Second Time this Series - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Top Bees in Extras - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.