Cougars grab slugfest against Snappers
Geneva, IL- Kane County Cougars outfielder Luis Perez smacked a two-run homer in the bottom of the ninth Thursday night against the Beloit Snappers to tie the game 15-15, and Gregorio Petit drove in Jose Pineda in the last of the 10th for a 16-15 Cougars win. The teams combined for 38 hits and drew 20 walks in a game that lasted over four hours. Tommy Everidge led the offense with four hits and three RBI.
The Cougars scored seven runs in the first inning against Beloit starter Jose Mijares, who left without recording an out. Everidge had a two-run single to break the scoring, and Pineda, Nick Blasi, Petit and Cliff Pennington also drove in runs in the frame for a 7-0 game. After the Snappers got four in the second against starter Mike Rogers and forced the right-hander to exit, Kane County added four in the bottom portion and another in the third to go up 12-4. The Cougars' offense went quiet for the middle three innings, and Beloit came alive, tallying 11 runs from the fourth through the eighth. Kane County got one run in the seventh but trailed 15-13 entering the bottom of the ninth. Pennington doubled to set up the line drive two-run homer by Perez that made it 15-15. After Rob Semerano worked a scoreless 10th to keep it even, Pineda led off the latter half of the frame with a walk from Snappers reliever Josh Hill. Blasi put down a sacrifice bunt to move Pineda to second, and Petit singled to right-center for the game-winner. Semerano (4-2) got the win, and Hill (2-4) took the loss.
The squads meet Friday night at 6:30 CDT for the finale of the three-game series. Tony Evans (5-1, 1.98) will take the mound for the Cougars (13-8) against right-hander Kevin Slowey (0-0, 2.57) for the Snappers (10-11).
6:15 PM Cougars On-Deck Show, 6:30 PM First Pitch AM-1280 WBIG
Friday's Starters RH Tony Evans (5-1, 1.98) v. RH Kevin Slowey (0-0, 2.57)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 15, 2005
- L-Kings finish sweep of Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Late inning rally by the Lugnuts falls one run short, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Swing take season series, 9-8, from Wisconsin; Lucena's sacrifice drives home game-winner - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Outslug Chiefs 9-5 - Peoria Chiefs
- Brown Drives in Five in Bees Win Over Peoria - Burlington Bees
- Swing edge Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Devil Rays escape Lugnuts comeback in 5-4 win - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Second straight home sweep - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Whitecaps Break Out the Brooms; Sweep Dragons with 14-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Face Wisconsin Monday, Back Home the 16th - Peoria Chiefs
- Bohorquez Suspended for 15 Days - Dayton Dragons
- Lumberkings take Game 2 against Kernels - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars grab slugfest against Snappers - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season