Devil Rays escape Lugnuts comeback in 5-4 win
BATTLE CREEK, Mich. -- The Southwest Michigan Devil Rays and Lansing Lugnuts waited out another 36 minute rain delay before the Rays beat Lansing by a 5-4 count Friday night at C.O. Brown Stadium.
Shaun Cumberland hit a three-run home run and drove in another run in the second inning to build a 5-0 lead before the Lugnuts put two up in each of the eighth and ninth innings in the narrow victory. Chris Nowak had the other RBI for Southwest Michigan.
Eddie De La Cruz won for the first time since May 5 with five shutout innings, four hits, two walks and three strikeouts. Jose De La Cruz saved the game after putting the tying runs on in the ninth. The save was his 10th.
The two teams started the game 36 minutes late and have weathered two hours and seven minutes worth of rain delays in the three game series.
Southwest Michigan heads to Beloit for a weekend series before returning home on Thursday, July 21 at 7:05 p.m. for another Thirsty Thursday promotion against the West Michigan Whitecaps. All-Star Andy Sonnanstine was promoted earlier in the day and right-hander Romelio Lopez will take his start in Beloit on Saturday evening.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 15, 2005
- L-Kings finish sweep of Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Late inning rally by the Lugnuts falls one run short, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Swing take season series, 9-8, from Wisconsin; Lucena's sacrifice drives home game-winner - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Outslug Chiefs 9-5 - Peoria Chiefs
- Brown Drives in Five in Bees Win Over Peoria - Burlington Bees
- Swing edge Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Devil Rays escape Lugnuts comeback in 5-4 win - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Second straight home sweep - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Whitecaps Break Out the Brooms; Sweep Dragons with 14-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Face Wisconsin Monday, Back Home the 16th - Peoria Chiefs
- Bohorquez Suspended for 15 Days - Dayton Dragons
- Lumberkings take Game 2 against Kernels - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars grab slugfest against Snappers - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.