Second straight home sweep
COMSTOCK PARK, MI - West Michigan used a seven run second inning, highlighted by a Jeff Frazier grand slam in a 14-1 rout of Dayton that completed a three-game sweep. The Whitecaps have won eight consecutive home games, including sweeps in their past two home series. West Michigan has also won the season series against the Dragons, 8-5, which could be important in the second half playoff race. Frazier finished one shy of a team record six RBI. He put West Michigan in front, 2-0 with an RBI single in the first inning. Wilkin Ramirez followed Frazier's slam with his 10th home run of the season. It was the second time this year the Whitecaps have gone back-to-back with home runs. Frazier and Ramirez pulled it off the first time around as well, on June 2 against Kane County. Frazier finished 4-for-5. The grand slam was the third of the season by West Michigan. Chris Robinson and Steve Yong each had four hits for the Whitecaps. A six inning start by Jair Jurrjens was overshadowed by the run output. Jurrjens allowed just one hit through five innings, but Dayton compiled three hits and a run in the sixth. Jeremiah Piepkorn came up with the only Dragon RBI of the night on a two-out single. Jurrjens earned the victory and was followed by two shutout innings from Freddy Dolsi and a scoreless ninth by Ed Clelland. Dayton starter James Morrison lasted only two innings and allowed nine runs (7 ER) on seven hits. Fourteen runs scored were the most this season by the Whitecaps.
West Michigan narrowly missed pulling off the most lopsided shutout in team history. The 'Caps shutout Burlington on June 5, 2000 and South Bend on August 12, 1996, each by scores of 14-0.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 15, 2005
- L-Kings finish sweep of Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Late inning rally by the Lugnuts falls one run short, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Swing take season series, 9-8, from Wisconsin; Lucena's sacrifice drives home game-winner - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Outslug Chiefs 9-5 - Peoria Chiefs
- Brown Drives in Five in Bees Win Over Peoria - Burlington Bees
- Swing edge Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Devil Rays escape Lugnuts comeback in 5-4 win - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Second straight home sweep - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Whitecaps Break Out the Brooms; Sweep Dragons with 14-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Face Wisconsin Monday, Back Home the 16th - Peoria Chiefs
- Bohorquez Suspended for 15 Days - Dayton Dragons
- Lumberkings take Game 2 against Kernels - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars grab slugfest against Snappers - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.