Swing edge Rattlers
FOX CITIES STADIUM -- Four Swing of the Quad Cities pitchers allowed just four hits and two runs in a 3-2 victory over the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Friday night at Fox Cities Stadium. Juan Lucena broke a 2-2 tie with a sacrifice fly in the top of the sixth inning and the Quad Cities bullpen retired the final ten Rattler hitters of the game in order to preserve the victory.
Quad Cities (51-40 overall, 15-7 second half) scored a pair of runs in the top of the second inning on RBI singles by Mike Ferris and Matt Lemanczyk.
Swing starting pitcher Tyler Adamczyk retired the first nine Timber Rattler batters of the game. Then, Brent Johnson led off the Rattlers (49-43, 10-12) fourth with a single. He stole second and went to third on a single by Yung Chi Chen. An RBI fielder's choice by Brandon Green scored Johnson.
Johnson also figured into the second Rattler run. He tied the game 2-2 with a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the fifth inning.
The Swing took the lead back in the top of the sixth inning. Rattler starter Aaron Jensen walked the lead off batter, gave up a single that sent the lead run to third, and then Lucena delivered his sacrifice fly.
Adamczyk put two runners on in the bottom of the sixth inning with a walk and a hit batsman. That's when the Swing bullpen went to work. Wayne Lundgren entered the game and got out of the inning. Brian Miller worked a perfect seventh and eighth innings. Then, Jason Cairns pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning for his third save of the season.
The Rattlers start a four game series in Geneva, Illinois against the Kane County Cougars tomorrow night. Julio Santiago (1-2, 5.85ERA) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Trent Peterson (1-0, 2.25ERA) is slated to start for the Cougars. Game time at Elfstrom Stadium is 6:00pm.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 15, 2005
- L-Kings finish sweep of Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Late inning rally by the Lugnuts falls one run short, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Swing take season series, 9-8, from Wisconsin; Lucena's sacrifice drives home game-winner - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Outslug Chiefs 9-5 - Peoria Chiefs
- Brown Drives in Five in Bees Win Over Peoria - Burlington Bees
- Swing edge Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Devil Rays escape Lugnuts comeback in 5-4 win - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Second straight home sweep - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Whitecaps Break Out the Brooms; Sweep Dragons with 14-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Face Wisconsin Monday, Back Home the 16th - Peoria Chiefs
- Bohorquez Suspended for 15 Days - Dayton Dragons
- Lumberkings take Game 2 against Kernels - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars grab slugfest against Snappers - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- A Letter from Timber Rattlers President Rob Zerjav
- Promotions Announced for Front Offices of Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities
- Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3