Cortes Claims Carolina League Pitching Award
Wilmington, DE - Turning in perhaps his finest outing of the season last Thursday, Wilmington Blue Rocks right-hander Dan Cortes captured the Carolina League's Pitcher of the Week award for August 20-26, as announced by the league office Monday evening. In his lone start of the week, the 20-year-old Pomona, CA native fashioned seven shutout innings against the Myrtle Beach Pelicans, as the Blue Rocks rolled to an 8-0 victory. The seven innings of work were tied for Cortes' season-high, as were his eight strikeouts on the night. He allowed just four hits.
Cortes, the youngest current Blue Rock, becomes the fifth different Wilmington player to fetch a weekly league honor this season, joining fellow pitchers Rowdy Hardy (twice) and Tyler Chambliss, right-fielder Brian McFall, and former Blue Rock first baseman/DH Kila Kaaihue, who was promoted to Double-A in mid-June.
Ranked as the No. 30 prospect in the Kansas City Royals organization prior the season by Baseball America, Cortes has won four straight decisions and has allowed only four earned runs over his last 35.0 innings, spanning six starts. For the season, he is 6-8 with a 3.41 ERA and 106 strikeouts. Entering action on Tuesday, August 28, Cortes ranks fifth in the league in ERA, while his strikeout total is second best in the Royals minor league system.
The Kansas City Royals acquired Cortes from the Chicago White Sox along with left-hander Tyler Lumsden in exchange for relief pitcher Mike MacDougal on June 24, 2006. The White Sox drafted Cortes in the seventh round of the 2005 June draft.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 28, 2007
- Keys Never Trail in 8-6 Win Over Pelicans - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Rocks Smother Salem - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Horner Puts Clamps On Series Opening Win - Frederick Keys
- Early Homer Dooms Avs - Salem Red Sox
- Kinston Falls, 4-2 - Kinston Indians
- Warthogs Silence Kinston in 4-2 Win - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans, Youth Diamond Fund To Recognize Miracle League - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Cortes Claims Carolina League Pitching Award - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Winston-Salem Warthogs to Honor Historic Baseball Team on Wednesday, August 29 at Ernie Shore Field - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Rocks Roll To 6-3 Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilmington Blue Rocks Stories
- Blue Rocks Win Carolina League's Matt Minker Award for Community Service
- Royals, Blue Rocks Agree on Two-Year PDC Extension
- Blue Rocks Rally Falls Short in Season Finale
- Blue Rocks Split Another Doubleheader with P-Nats
- Blue Rocks Split Doubleheader with P-Nats