Comets Drop Wild Game to Bruins in Shootout
Utica, N.Y. - The Utica Comets fell to the Providence Bruins 5-4 in a shootout Wednesday night at the Adirondack Bank Center.
Ashton Sautner put the Comets up 1-0 53 seconds into the game with a blast from the point that found its way past Zane McIntyre. Zack MacEwen and Tony Cameranesi picked up the assists. The assist was Cameranesi's first point as a Comet.
Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson tied the game at one at the 4:09 mark of the second period, burying a loose puck over the blocker of Thatcher Demko. Austin Czarnik and Kenny Agostino were credited with the assists. Michael Carcone regained Utica's lead with 4:12 to go in the middle frame, banking the puck off a Providence defender's skate and in from behind the net. Dylan Blujus had the lone assist.
Right as the Comets finshed a five-minute penalty kill, Adam Payerl tied the game at two. Colton Hargrove and Forsbacka Karlsson were credited with the assists. Joseph LaBate made it 3-2 a minute and a half later. Patrick Wiercioch and Carcone tallied the assists. Blujus extended the lead to 4-3 with his first marker as a Comet over a minute later. Alexis D'Aoust collected the assist. Justin Hickman cut the lead to 4-3 40 seconds later. Payerl and Chris Porter notched the assists. Matt Beleskey tied the game at four with 1:13 to go in regulation. Forsbacka Karlsson had the assist and the game would head to overtime.
Overtime was not enough to find a winner and the game would head to a shooutout.
Kenny Agostino netted the only goal in the shooutout to secure the win.
Demko finshed with 37 saves and his record falls to 11-6-4. McIntyre stopped 26 shots. His record improves to 11-6-1. The Comets power play went 0-1, while the penalty kill was a perfect 6-6.
The Comets return to action Friday night for a rematch with the Bruins. Puck drop is at 7pm at the Adirondack Bank Center. Fans are encouraged to utilize the ticket exchange website, StubHub!. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL Live.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 29, 2017
- Griffins Offer $2 Beers and $2 Hot Dogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peters Signs PTO with Wilkes/Barre-Scranton - AHL
- Comets Sign Forwards Marco Roy and Andrew Cherniwchan - Utica Comets
- BLUE JACKETS ASSIGN DEFENSEMAN GABRIEL CARLSSON TO MONSTERS - Cleveland Monsters
- Iowa Wild Falls to Rockford IceHogs 6-3 - Iowa Wild
- First 2,500 fans in attendance Friday will receive a free IceHogs fleece blanket - Rockford IceHogs
- HOGS HOST FRIDAY FLEECE BLANKET GIVEAWAY - Rockford IceHogs
- Goalies Peters, Morrison Signed to PTOs - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Manitoba Moose Announce Shutout Hunger Details - Manitoba Moose
- GRIFFINS ASSIGN BORKOWSKI TO WALLEYE - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Defenseman Andrei Mironov from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- MONSTERS TO HOST "MARVEL SUPER HERO NIGHT" THIS SATURDAY AT THE Q - Cleveland Monsters
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Monsters to Host Marvel Super Hero Night This - Cleveland Monsters
- Coyotes Recall Kempe from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch Loan Shane Conacher to Adirondack Thunder - Syracuse Crunch
- Islanders Recall Sebastian Aho - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack Announce Roster Moves - Hartford Wolf Pack
- AMERKS TO HOST "STAR WARS NIGHT" ON SATURDAY - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Reassign Cody Wydo to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- MINNESOTA WILD ASSIGNS FORWARD ZACH PARISE TO IOWA ON A CONDITIONING ASSIGNMENT - Iowa Wild
- Condors Start Strong But Lose 3-2 to Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Rampage Outlast Stars 5-4 in Cedar Park - San Antonio Rampage
- Goulbourne Gordie Howe Hat Trick Drives Series Sweep at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Amerks Fall Short of Fifth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- CRUNCH OUTLAST MARLIES - Syracuse Crunch
- WALMAN WHISKS WOLVES TO 1,000 FRANCHISE WINS - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Lose Close One to Phantoms - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Notch Third Period Comeback - Providence Bruins
- Comets Drop Wild Game to Bruins in Shootout - Utica Comets
- Devils Curse Checkers in Lopsided 6-2 Loss - Charlotte Checkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.