P-Bruins Notch Third Period Comeback
Utica, NY - The Providence Bruins defeated the Utica Comets Wednesday night 5-4 in their first game back from the Christmas break. The P-Bruins got goals from Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, Adam Payerl, Justin Hickman and Matt Beleskey while Zane McIntyre made his 18th start of the season in net.
The Comets struck quickly, as Ashton Sautner needed just 53 seconds to score his second goal of the season and give his team a 1-0 lead. That score would hold into the intermission, but Forsbacka Karlsson tied things up for the P-Bruins 4:09 into the second. From behind the net, Kenny Agostino quickly sent a pass to Austin Czarnik at the goal line. He found Forsbacka Karlsson alone in front and he beat Thatcher Demko from the slot for his team-leading tenth goal of the season. The score remained 1-1 until five minutes left in the period, when the Comets benefited from a fortunate bounce. From the left wing corner Michael Carcone tried to send a centering pass to his teammate in front, but the puck deflected off the skate of a Providence defender. The puck snuck by McIntyre for Carcone's sixth goal of the year and the Comets took a 2-1 lead to the locker room.
The third period was a thrilling one that started off with Providence tying the score 2-2. After a five-minute major power play concluded, Payerl deflected a shot by Colby Cave in for his second goal of the year to tie the score at 6:28. Utica seemingly took a commanding lead after that with goals from Joseph LaBate and Dylan Blujus just 64 second apart. Down 4-2,
Providence did not stop fighting and that grit paid off for Hickman. Chris Porter and Payerl won a puck battle in the corner and got a centering feed in front. Hickman netted his fourth goal of the season to make it a 4-3 game. With the goaltender pulled and just 1:13 remaining, Beleskey tied things up on a backhand shot, shocking the Comets crowd and eventually sending the game to a shootout. Agostino led off with a goal which proved to be the only tally of the shootout and Providence walked away with a 5-4 win.
McIntyre stopped 26 of 30 shots while Demko stopped 37 of 41. Providence was 0-6 on the power play and 1-1 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins have an off day tomorrow and are back in action against these same Comets Friday at 7pm in Utica.
The Providence Bruins are the American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Boston Bruins, playing their home games at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI. Spanning more than 25 years, the Boston/Providence affiliation is one of the longest and most successful player development partnerships in professional hockey history.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 29, 2017
- Griffins Offer $2 Beers and $2 Hot Dogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peters Signs PTO with Wilkes/Barre-Scranton - AHL
- Comets Sign Forwards Marco Roy and Andrew Cherniwchan - Utica Comets
- BLUE JACKETS ASSIGN DEFENSEMAN GABRIEL CARLSSON TO MONSTERS - Cleveland Monsters
- Iowa Wild Falls to Rockford IceHogs 6-3 - Iowa Wild
- First 2,500 fans in attendance Friday will receive a free IceHogs fleece blanket - Rockford IceHogs
- HOGS HOST FRIDAY FLEECE BLANKET GIVEAWAY - Rockford IceHogs
- Goalies Peters, Morrison Signed to PTOs - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Manitoba Moose Announce Shutout Hunger Details - Manitoba Moose
- GRIFFINS ASSIGN BORKOWSKI TO WALLEYE - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Defenseman Andrei Mironov from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- MONSTERS TO HOST "MARVEL SUPER HERO NIGHT" THIS SATURDAY AT THE Q - Cleveland Monsters
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Monsters to Host Marvel Super Hero Night This - Cleveland Monsters
- Coyotes Recall Kempe from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch Loan Shane Conacher to Adirondack Thunder - Syracuse Crunch
- Islanders Recall Sebastian Aho - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack Announce Roster Moves - Hartford Wolf Pack
- AMERKS TO HOST "STAR WARS NIGHT" ON SATURDAY - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Reassign Cody Wydo to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- MINNESOTA WILD ASSIGNS FORWARD ZACH PARISE TO IOWA ON A CONDITIONING ASSIGNMENT - Iowa Wild
- Condors Start Strong But Lose 3-2 to Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Rampage Outlast Stars 5-4 in Cedar Park - San Antonio Rampage
- Goulbourne Gordie Howe Hat Trick Drives Series Sweep at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Amerks Fall Short of Fifth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- CRUNCH OUTLAST MARLIES - Syracuse Crunch
- WALMAN WHISKS WOLVES TO 1,000 FRANCHISE WINS - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Lose Close One to Phantoms - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Notch Third Period Comeback - Providence Bruins
- Comets Drop Wild Game to Bruins in Shootout - Utica Comets
- Devils Curse Checkers in Lopsided 6-2 Loss - Charlotte Checkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.