Comets Comeback Falls Short against Syracuse
Utica, N.Y. - The Utica Comets almost clawed their way out of an early 3-0 deficit but ultimately fell to the Syracuse Crunch 5-3 Wednesday night at the Adirondack Bank Center.
Gabriel Dumont struck 3:30 into the game with a shorthanded goal. Ross Colton extended the lead to 1-0 halfway through the opening frame after a Comets' defensive zone turnover. Carter Verhaeghe made it 3-0 14 seconds later. Despite having four power plays and putting 15 shots on net, the Comets were unable to muster up a goal in the opening 20 minutes.
Things settled down in the middle frame, with the rivals combining for just 11 total shots in the period. However, neither team was able to find the net.
Boucher got the Comets on the board 3:39 into the third period after he beat Crunch goaltender Eddie Pasquale five-hole with a wrister from the slot. MacEwen and Jalen Chatfield picked up the assists. Verhaeghe scored his second of the night at the 11:36 mark of the third to restore Syracuse's three-goal lead. MacEwen answered back 48 seconds later with the goalie pulled for a delayed penalty. Brendan Gaunce and Kole Lind tallied the assists. Anselmini brought the Comets within with 4:44 to go in regulation, beating Pasquale with a wrister from the left circle. Lind and Carter Bancks had the assists. Utica pulled Leighton in an effort to tie the game, but Jan Rutta hit the empty net with two seconds to play to secure the win.
The Comets are back at it Friday night for a rematch against the Crunch. Puck drop at the Onondaga County War Memorial Arena is at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 6, 2019
- Laberge Scores First as Phantoms Triumph at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Lose to Lehigh Valley, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Down Comets, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Stars Come up Short in Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Comets Comeback Falls Short against Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Season Tickets for 2019-20 on Sale Now - Rockford IceHogs
- Agozzino Recalled to Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Sens Explain the Story Behind Their Jersey Numbers - Belleville Senators
- Marlies and Rocket Meet for Mid-Week Clash - Toronto Marlies
- Admirals Catch Brewers Fever this Weekend - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sens Sign Carlisle to AHL Deal - Belleville Senators
- Jordan Binnington Named AHL Graduate of the Month - San Antonio Rampage
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Connor Ingram to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- San Diego Gulls Sign Steve McParland and Ryan Tesink to Professional Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- Heat, Gulls Wrap Three-Game Set Wednesday in San Diego - Stockton Heat
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Canucks Recall Guillaume Brisebois, Comets Sign Matt Petgrave to PTO - Utica Comets
- Devils Sign Forward Sam Kurker to PTO - Binghamton Devils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.