Comeback Cutters Do It Again
Williamsport, Pa - Johan Rojas delivered a walk-off winning hit with two outs in the bottom of the ninth to complete another tremendous comeback for the Crosscutters in a 4-3 victory over the Brooklyn Cyclones on Sunday evening at BB&T Ballpark. The Cutters trailed 3-0 into the bottom of the eighth before their exciting rally. On the Rojas drive back up the middle to win the game, the whole team raced out of the dugout to celebrate while dousing the team's hero with the big Gatorade bucket.
The Crosscutters have won five straight and are 9-2 in their last 11 games. The series sweep of Brooklyn (26-22) is the first of the season for Williamsport.
Bryson Stott knocked a two-run single the opposite way to left to tie the game at 3-3 with two outs in the eighth. Nicolas Torres opened the eighth inning rally with a bunt single and then scored the team's first run of the comeback on a Corbin Williams hit to right.
Williamsport (19-29) had only one hit in the first seven innings and had 16 batters retired consecutively during a stretch from the second through seventh innings. Frank Valentino (ND) spun six tremendous innings of one-hit ball for the Cyclones. Jose Conopoima and Hsin-Chieh Lin each fired four frames for the Cutters. Lin racked up five strikeouts while giving up just one run on four hits from the fifth through the eighth.
It is the second game in a row in which Williamsport scored three runs in the eighth after trailing by multiple runs.
The Crosscutters return to Historic Bowman Field on Monday night at 7:05 p.m. with RHP Leonel Aponte scheduled to take the mound against the Pinckney Division leading Batavia Muckdogs (MIA).
BRK 3 9 0 (8)
WIL 4 8 1 (8)
W - Anton Kuznetsov (2-1)
L - Daniel Goggin (2-1)
Crosscutters Record: 19-29
Next Home Game/Promotion: Monday, August 5 at 7:05 p.m. vs. Batavia Muckdogs (MIA) /
Military Appreciation Night. Military Jersey Auction
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 4, 2019
- Staten Island Defeats Mahoning Valley in Extra Innings on Smith Walk-Off Single - Staten Island Yankees
- Yasenka, Figueroa Propel Spikes to 4-2 Victory over Spinners - State College Spikes
- On the Comeback Trail - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Offense Fuels Largest Win of the Season at Batavia - Connecticut Tigers
- Late Rally Short in 4-2 Loss to Spikes - Lowell Spinners
- Comeback Cutters Do It Again - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Deja Vu as Cyclones Waste Late Inning Lead - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Vermont Completes 3-Game Sweep At Aberdeen - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Late Rally Brings Legacy a Tough Loss - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Doubledays Get Two-Hit in Loss to ValleyCats - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.