Staten Island Defeats Mahoning Valley in Extra Innings on Smith Walk-Off Single
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y.-The Staten Island Pizza Rats defeated the Mahoning Valley Scrappers 5-4 in 10 innings on Saturday night at Richmond County Bank Ballpark.
It was another back and forth affair between the two clubs as the Scrappers struck first in the first inning. Three runs would come across on RBI hits from Bryan Lavastida and Joab Gonzalez along with an RBI groundout from Yainer Diaz.
However, the Pizza Rats would respond with a run in the bottom of the first on an RBI single by David Metzgar. Staten Island would add another in the second inning on an error by Gonzalez at second base that allowed Nelson Alvarez to score on a double play attempt.
It was 3-2 heading to the sixth inning when Mahoning Valley added another run on a wild pitch that made it 4-2.
Staten Island would answer again with a two-run game-tying home run from Matt Pita to knot the game up at four in the bottom of the sixth inning.
The game would go into extra innings and in the bottom of the tenth with Evan Alexander on second base to start the inning due to the Minor League Baseball rule, Josh Smith singled up the middle to score Alexander and win the game for the Pizza Rats 5-4.
It was the third walk-off win for Staten Island this season and the first in the brief, but glorious history of the Pizza Rats.
The Yankees and Scrappers return tomorrow for the final game of this three-game set at Richmond County Bank Ballpark. First pitch is scheduled for 1p.m.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 4, 2019
- Staten Island Defeats Mahoning Valley in Extra Innings on Smith Walk-Off Single - Staten Island Yankees
- Yasenka, Figueroa Propel Spikes to 4-2 Victory over Spinners - State College Spikes
- On the Comeback Trail - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Offense Fuels Largest Win of the Season at Batavia - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Late Rally Short in 4-2 Loss to Spikes - Lowell Spinners
- Comeback Cutters Do It Again - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Deja Vu as Cyclones Waste Late Inning Lead - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Vermont Completes 3-Game Sweep At Aberdeen - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Late Rally Brings Legacy a Tough Loss - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Doubledays Get Two-Hit in Loss to ValleyCats - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.