Deja Vu as Cyclones Waste Late Inning Lead
WILLIAMSPORT, PA - For the second-straight night, the Williamsport Crosscutters stunned the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, handing them a 4-3 late comeback victory Sunday evening at BB&T Ballpark to earn their first sweep of the season.
W: Kuznetsov (2-1)
L: Goggin (2-1)
Johan Rojas singled with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth, delivering the Crosscutters to a 4-3 walk-off victory. Williamsport had tied the game with a three spot in the eighth capped by Bryson Stott's game-tying two-run single.
Luke Ritter drove in two runs in the fourth, giving Brooklyn an early 2-0 lead.
Frank Valentino carved up Williamsport for a quality start, striking out seven in the no-decision. The 24-year-old Long Island native allowed one walk and one hit batsman.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
Frank Valentino: 6 IP, 1 H 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 HBP, 7 K
Luke Ritter: 2-4, 2 RBI
Wilmer Reyes: 3-4, 2 R, SB
Jose Peroza: 2-4, RBI
NEWS & NOTES
Brooklyn suffered it's third sweep of the season. Williamsport had not swept any team prior to this weekend this season.
For the second-consecutive night, the Cyclones bullpen lost a lead in the eighth inning.
The Cyclones faced the top team in the league (Lowell) earlier this week and the bottom team in the league (Williamsport) this week, going 1-6.
Cyclones vs. Hudson Valley - Monday, 7 p.m.
MCU Park - Coney Island, NY
Probables: RHP Matt Cleveland (3-2, 3.48) vs. RHP Rodolfo Sanchez (1-1, 3.89)
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 4, 2019
- Staten Island Defeats Mahoning Valley in Extra Innings on Smith Walk-Off Single - Staten Island Yankees
- Yasenka, Figueroa Propel Spikes to 4-2 Victory over Spinners - State College Spikes
- On the Comeback Trail - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Offense Fuels Largest Win of the Season at Batavia - Connecticut Tigers
- Late Rally Short in 4-2 Loss to Spikes - Lowell Spinners
- Comeback Cutters Do It Again - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Deja Vu as Cyclones Waste Late Inning Lead - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Vermont Completes 3-Game Sweep At Aberdeen - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Late Rally Brings Legacy a Tough Loss - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Doubledays Get Two-Hit in Loss to ValleyCats - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.