Comeback Clones Win Thriller, Top Yankes 5-4
STATEN ISLAND, NY - The Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season affiliate of the New York Mets, rallied for two runs in the top of the ninth to stun the Staten Island Yankees en route to a 5-4 come-from-behind victory Sunday afternoon at Richmond County Bank Ballpark.
W: Hejka (2-0)
L: Loseke (3-1)
SV: Leon (4)
Trailing 4-3 into the ninth, Jake Mangum's RBI single to left field tied the game against Staten Island's Barrett Loseke. Later in the frame, Antoine Duplantis scored on a throwing error from catcher Carlos Narvaez to give Brooklyn a 5-4 lead.
Staten Island erased an early 1-0 lead, scoring four consecutive runs, including a two-run single for Andres Chaparro in the first inning.
Jared Biddy and Josh Hejka tossed a combined three innings of scoreless relief to keep the Cyclones in the game. Nelson Leon earned the save in the ninth, striking out two.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
Antoine Duplantis: 3-5, 2 R
Jake Ortega: 2-4, 2B, RBI, R
Jake Mangum: 1-5, RBI
Jared Biddy: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 K
Nelson Leon: SV, 1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 2 K
NEWS & NOTES
With the victory, a Cyclones victory Monday in the regular season finale guarantees a playoff appearance.
Brooklyn has not made the New York Penn League playoffs since 2012. Brooklyn won its first season series against the Staten Island since 2014.
Robinson Cano is scheduled to rejoin the Cyclones for a rehab game Monday against Staten Island.
Wilmer Reyes snapped his 10-game hitting streak. He becomes the eighth player in Brooklyn history to record a pair of 10-game hitting streaks in one season.
Cyclones vs. Staten Island Yankees
MCU Park - Coney Island, NY
Probables: RHP Frank Valentino (1-4, 3.99) vs. RHP Alex Mejias (2-0, 3.60)
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Staten Island Falls to Brooklyn, Ending Playoff Hopes - Staten Island Yankees
- Spikes Thrill Big Crowd with 11-1 Win over Crosscutters in 2019 Home Finale - State College Spikes
- Cutters Lose Last Away Game of 2019 - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Doubledays Best Muckdogs, 3-1 - Auburn Doubledays
- Renegades Head to Postseason for Fourth Consecutive Year - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes Name 2019 Award Winners at Regular Season Home Finale - State College Spikes
- West Virginia Drops Game Two and Remains Tied in the Division - West Virginia Black Bears
- Decker's Three Hits Lead Spinners to 5-4 Victory - Lowell Spinners
- Tigers Downed by Spinners - Connecticut Tigers
- Lake Monsters Shutout 3-0 At Tri-City - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Comeback Clones Win Thriller, Top Yankes 5-4 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Doubledays Rout Muckdogs, 12-5 - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.