Tigers Downed by Spinners
Norwich, CT - Kingston Liniak went 4-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored, but the Connecticut Tigers (34-41) fell 5-4 to the Lowell Spinners (41-34). This was Liniak's first four-hit game of the 2019 season.
The Spinners took the lead in the top half of the second with an RBI single from Antoni Flores off of Jack Dellinger (Loss, 0-1).
The Tigers pushed across their first two runs of the contest on an RBI double by Eliezer Alfonzo and an RBI single by Yoandy Rea. These were the only two RBIs in the contest for both players.
Jaxx Groshans delivered a sacrifice fly to tie the game in the top of the fourth. Alex Erro followed later in the inning with a single to center to make it 3-2.
Lowell added to the lead in the top of the fifth frame. Nick Decker singled to make it 4-2, and Groshans delivered his second sacrifice fly RBI to make it 5-2. Decker finished the contest 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored for the Spinners.
Those were the final runs of the contest for Lowell after Doug Domnarski and Cristhian Tortosa combined to pitch 4.2 scoreless innings of relief for Connecticut. Domnarski went 2.2 with two hits and two strikeouts in his debut. Tortosa pitched two innings with no hits and two strikeouts.
Liniak helped cut into the lead with an RBI double off of Jorge Rodriguez (Win, 1-0) to score Kona Quiggle to make it 5-3. On a drop third strike later in the inning, Liniak came in to score to make it 5-4.
The Tigers threatened in the final frame of the contest. After a single by Liniak and a walk by Kreidler, Dylan Spacke (Save, 1) produced a double play to end the contest for the Spinners. Spacke went one inning with one hit, a walk and a strikeout in the game.
The Connecticut Tigers will be back in action one final time in 2019 as they take on Lowell. You can catch all the action at Dodd Stadium on the Norwich Courtyard by Marriott Connecticut Tigers Radio Network on 1310 WICH. Elijah Gonzalez will have the call. First pitch is scheduled for 12:05 p.m.
The Connecticut Tigers are the New York-Penn League affiliate of the Detroit Tigers at Dodd Stadium in Norwich, Connecticut. 2019 individual game tickets, season memberships for "The Club", mini plans, and team merchandise are on sale now! The front office and box office are open daily from 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and can be accessed in person, online at www.cttigers.com, or by calling (860) 887-7962.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Staten Island Falls to Brooklyn, Ending Playoff Hopes - Staten Island Yankees
- Spikes Thrill Big Crowd with 11-1 Win over Crosscutters in 2019 Home Finale - State College Spikes
- Cutters Lose Last Away Game of 2019 - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Doubledays Best Muckdogs, 3-1 - Auburn Doubledays
- Renegades Head to Postseason for Fourth Consecutive Year - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes Name 2019 Award Winners at Regular Season Home Finale - State College Spikes
- West Virginia Drops Game Two and Remains Tied in the Division - West Virginia Black Bears
- Decker's Three Hits Lead Spinners to 5-4 Victory - Lowell Spinners
- Tigers Downed by Spinners - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Lake Monsters Shutout 3-0 At Tri-City - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Comeback Clones Win Thriller, Top Yankes 5-4 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Doubledays Rout Muckdogs, 12-5 - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norwich Sea Unicorns Stories
- Norwich Sea Unicorns Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Connecticut Tigers Become the Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Connecticut Tigers Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Connecticut Tigers to Unveil New Team Name and Logos December 5th
- CT Tigers to Honor Veterans Day with a Special Offer