Cutters Lose Last Away Game of 2019
State College, Penn. - The Crosscutters lost their last road game of the season in an 11-1 decision at the State College Spikes on Sunday evening. Williamsport (32-43) was only trailing 5-1 in the eighth inning and had stranded 14 runners on base including leaving them loaded in the seventh and eighth but then the Spikes put the game away with six runs in the bottom of the eighth.
Mitch Edwards was 2-for-4 with a double and the team's lone run. His first career extra-base hit was a shot off the top of the 18.5-foot wall in right that would have been a home run at many other ballparks.
Johan Rojas banged out his league-leading sixth triple of the season and went 2-for-5. Corbin Williams added an RBI double.
Terry Fuller homered for the Spikes in the first and State College (39-36) pushed across four runs in the first three innings against Cutters starter Junior Tejada (L, 2-2).
The Crosscutters lost by 10 runs for just the second time this year and allowed a season-high 11 runs for a second time this season.
RHP Leonel Aponte starts for the Cutters in the season finale at 1:05 p.m. at BB&T Ballpark on Fan Appreciation Day in the last game of the season.
WIL 1 8 0 (14)
SC 11 11 0 (8)
W - Hector Villalobos (3-2)
L - Junior Tejada (2-2)
HR - Terry Fuller (4)
Crosscutters Record: 32-43
Next Game: Sunday, September 1 at 6:05 p.m. at State College Spikes
Next Home Game/Promotion: Monday, September 2 at 1:05 p.m. vs. State College Spikes /
Fan Appreciation Day, Prizes Every Inning
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Staten Island Falls to Brooklyn, Ending Playoff Hopes - Staten Island Yankees
- Spikes Thrill Big Crowd with 11-1 Win over Crosscutters in 2019 Home Finale - State College Spikes
- Cutters Lose Last Away Game of 2019 - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Doubledays Best Muckdogs, 3-1 - Auburn Doubledays
- Renegades Head to Postseason for Fourth Consecutive Year - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes Name 2019 Award Winners at Regular Season Home Finale - State College Spikes
- West Virginia Drops Game Two and Remains Tied in the Division - West Virginia Black Bears
- Decker's Three Hits Lead Spinners to 5-4 Victory - Lowell Spinners
- Tigers Downed by Spinners - Connecticut Tigers
- Lake Monsters Shutout 3-0 At Tri-City - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Comeback Clones Win Thriller, Top Yankes 5-4 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Doubledays Rout Muckdogs, 12-5 - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.