Chiozza's Fourth Quarter Effort Leads Go-Go Past Knicks
The Capital City Go-Go, the NBA G League affiliate of the Washington Wizards, defeated the Westchester Knicks, 118-115, on Tuesday night in the nation's capital.
The Go-Go (19-16) overcame their largest first quarter deficit of the season (14) to pull within four points at the half after shooting 62.2% in the second quarter. Noah Allen's 13 points on 5-for-5 shooting from the field (3-for-3 from three) in the quarter paced the Go-Go's comeback. Allen finished with a season-high 21 points, adding seven assists and five steals as well.
After a back-and-forth third quarter, the Go-Go took their first lead since a 2-0 start in the fourth quarter following a 12-0 run. The Go-Go survived a couple late-Knick three-pointers to pull out the win and snap their three-game losing streak.
Chris Chiozza, who was named to the Team USA Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup Qualifying team this afternoon, tallied his third double-double in the last four games with a team-high 27 points, 10 assists while adding six rebounds. Chiozza led the Go-Go fourth quarter charge with 18 points in the frame.
With 27 assists, the Go-Go improved to 9-2 when recording at least 25 assists, with 18 assists coming in the first half.
Westchester was led by a joint effort of Billy Garrett (30), Jameel Warney (25) and Paul Watson's career-high 25 points.
The Go-Go will return to action on Wednesday, February 13 as they travel to take on the Delaware Blue Coats to close their pre-All-Star Break slate. After the All-Star break, Westchester returns to action on February 20th hosting the Maine Red Claws.
GO-GO HEAD COACH JARELL CHRISTIAN
On snapping a three-game losing streak:
"It was basically self-inflicted wounds. We were not doing a great job of executing our game plan and that is kind of where we failed in some areas, but when we do a good job of executing our game plan, we can play with anybody in this league and we feel comfortable about that. When we play with the pace that we want to play with, but when we are getting stops defensively, and we can get out on the run, we are a really good team."
On Tiwian Kendley:
"He is expected to travel with us. We will evaluate him tomorrow before the game and see how he is, but his rehab has been great. He has been really diligent in the work he has been doing while he has not been with the team, so I am excited to see him back on the floor. Hopefully, it will be tomorrow."
On having a player from his team being selected to the USA qualifying team:
"It's good. You know, it's not just good for Chris [Chiozza]. It's good for the Go-Go as a program. As an expansion team. Kudos to our front office in identifying talent. Kudos to our staff, our assistant coaches, for putting in the time, the work, and the energy with Chris on a daily basis and continue to develop him. And I'm just proud to see him grow on and off the court. I'm glad he gets another opportunity.
GO-GO GUARD CHRIS CHIOZZA
On today's passing and picking it up in the second quarter:
"We just did a good job moving the ball, people getting to their spots. When I did not really have anything, people moving and cutting, and I just was able to find them after the first quarter."
On being selected to the USA qualifying team:
"It's a huge honor. Something I've always wanted to do. To be in the position to do that now, I'm just grateful. I thank my coaches, my team, and just the Wizards organization."
On being selected to the USA qualifying team while in the G-league:
"I mean, it just goes to show that the G-league has gotten so much better. It's bigger than what people think it is. With opportunities, and getting to the next level, and continuing to play basketball for a living."
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 12, 2019
- Suns Eclipse Vipers to Earn Eighth Win of the Season - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Windy City Scores Season-High 126 Points, Beats Wisconsin 126-110 - Windy City Bulls
- Chiozza's Fourth Quarter Effort Leads Go-Go Past Knicks - Capital City Go-Go
- Willie Reed Named to Midseason All-NBA G League Team - Salt Lake City Stars
- Drive's Streak Snapped by Swarm - Grand Rapids Drive
- D.J. Hogg Added to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp Roster - Delaware Blue Coats
- Austin Spurs to Host Raptors 905 at the AT&T Center on Friday, March 8 - Austin Spurs
- Hustle Forward Kyle Casey Invited to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp - Memphis Hustle
- Greensboro Swarm Adds Connor Burchfield - Greensboro Swarm
- Drive's Streak Snapped by Swarm - Grand Rapids Drive
- Tanner McGrew Named to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team - Salt Lake City Stars
- Chris Chiozza to Play for Team USA FIBA World Cup Qualifying Team - Capital City Go-Go
- Xavier Munford Named to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team - Wisconsin Herd
- Chinanu Onuaku to Participate in February Training Camp for USA Basketball's Men's World Cup Qualifying Team - Greensboro Swarm
- Cooke, Terry Added to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp Roster - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Travis Trice Confirmed for USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp - Austin Spurs
- Thirteen Athletes Confirmed for USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Westchester Meets Capital City for Tuesday Battle - Westchester Knicks
- Austin Spurs Acquire Devon Bookert and Jeff Coby - Austin Spurs
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.