Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
February 12, 2019 - NBA G League (G League)
A new professional outdoor football league, the Alliance of American Football, debuted this past weekend, buoyed by a national television broadcast on CBS. Hockey and basketball playoff races are heating up and much more in this look back at last week's top stories.
Alliance of American Football
The Atlanta Legends announced that Michael Vick will no longer be the team's offensive coordinator. It is possible he will remain with the team in a consulting role.
San Antonio Commanders linebacker Shaan Washington delivers a monster hit to San Diego Fleet quarterback Mike Bercovici. No penalty was called.
Orlando Apollos quarterback Garret Gilbert catches a five-yard touchdown pass on a trick play similar to the Philadelphia Eagles' play on which quarterback Nick Foles caught one in last year's Super Bowl. It's Steve Spurrier's team, after all.
Several media outlets have reported that Pep Hamilton will be the head coach and general manager of the XFL Washington DC franchise.
The Canadian Football League has reached an agreement with the French American Football Federation to work together to grow the game by providing new opportunities for players
The CFL also secured a partnership with the Austrian American Football Federation. They become the CFL fourth international partner.
If all goes to plan, the CFL's Atlantic Schooners will begin play in 2020 in Moncton, New Brunswick, while a new stadium is being built in Halifax.
Arena Football League
The Arena Football League (AFL) officially announces that it is launching a team in Columbus, Ohio, to begin play in the spring of 2019. The team will play its home games at Nationwide Arena, and will play a total of 12 games during the regular season.
National Arena League
The Maine Mammoths have suspended operations for the 2019 season. They hope to be back playing in the National Arena League in 2020 if they can find local ownership.
Delaware Blue Coats guard Matt Farrell wins it 109-107 over the Long Island Nets:
The WNBA announced that Christin Hedgpeth has been promoted to WNBA Chief Operating Officer, effective immediately. Hedgpeth had been serving as the league's interim COO since October 2018 and will continue to oversee WNBA strategy, business development and marketing functions.
Minnesota Lynx star Maya Moore has decided to skip the upcoming WNBA season, seeking more time to devote to her family and focus on religious pursuits.
Western Hockey League
Video - Regina Pats goalie Max Paddock makes a sensational glove save against Riley McKay of the Saskatoon Blades.
National Women's Hockey League
The 2019 NWHL All-Star Game in Nashville, played before a record 6,120 fans. While Team Szabados defeated Team Stecklein in the overall competition, 4-3, after a tiebreaker, that was secondary to the extraordinary display of skill by all of the NWHL players before the sold-out audience of rabid hockey fans at Ford Ice Center in Nashville.
Vancouver Warriors forward Jordan McBride scores a behind the back goal against the San Diego Seals:
National Pro Fastpitch
The 2019 National Pro Fastpitch Championship Series will return to Parkway Bank Sports Complex in Rosemont, Illinois, for a second consecutive season. The 2019 Championship Series is scheduled for Aug. 15-19.
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 12, 2019
- Suns Eclipse Vipers to Earn Eighth Win of the Season - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Windy City Scores Season-High 126 Points, Beats Wisconsin 126-110 - Windy City Bulls
- Chiozza's Fourth Quarter Effort Leads Go-Go Past Knicks - Capital City Go-Go
- Willie Reed Named to Midseason All-NBA G League Team - Salt Lake City Stars
- Drive's Streak Snapped by Swarm - Grand Rapids Drive
- D.J. Hogg Added to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp Roster - Delaware Blue Coats
- Austin Spurs to Host Raptors 905 at the AT&T Center on Friday, March 8 - Austin Spurs
- Hustle Forward Kyle Casey Invited to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp - Memphis Hustle
- Greensboro Swarm Adds Connor Burchfield - Greensboro Swarm
- Drive's Streak Snapped by Swarm - Grand Rapids Drive
- Tanner McGrew Named to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team - Salt Lake City Stars
- Chris Chiozza to Play for Team USA FIBA World Cup Qualifying Team - Capital City Go-Go
- Xavier Munford Named to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team - Wisconsin Herd
- Chinanu Onuaku to Participate in February Training Camp for USA Basketball's Men's World Cup Qualifying Team - Greensboro Swarm
- Cooke, Terry Added to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp Roster - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Travis Trice Confirmed for USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp - Austin Spurs
- Thirteen Athletes Confirmed for USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Westchester Meets Capital City for Tuesday Battle - Westchester Knicks
- Austin Spurs Acquire Devon Bookert and Jeff Coby - Austin Spurs
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.