Chinanu Onuaku to Participate in February Training Camp for USA Basketball's Men's World Cup Qualifying Team
(COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo.) - USA Basketball announced today that Greensboro Swarm center Chinanu Onuaku has been selected as one of 13 players who will compete for a spot on the USA's February 2019 World Cup Qualifying Team.
Onuaku and the other hopefuls, including four returning players, will contend for a roster spot during training camp at the University of Miami on February 15-19. Training will continue February 21 and 24 at the home of the Greensboro Swarm, the Fieldhouse at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex.
The 12-man team will be made by the USA Basketball Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Committee. Team USA concludes FIBA World Cup Qualifying with a pair of home second round games, February 22 (vs. Panama, 7 p.m.) and February 25 (vs. Argentina, 7 p.m.).
Onuaku, a 6-9 center from Louisville, was the No. 2 overall selection in the 2018 NBA G League Draft by the Greensboro Swarm. The Lanham, Maryland, native has started 33 games for Greensboro and averaged 14.4 points, 12.4 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 1.7 blocks and 1.3 steals in 29.3 minutes per contest. Onuaku leads the league with 24 double-doubles and is amongst the league leaders in rebounds per game. He was the No. 37 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft by the Houston Rockets, appearing in six games with Houston and 83 with their G League affiliate, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
In addition to Onuaku, the USA training camp roster includes: Josh Adams (Raptors 905), Kyle Casey (Memphis Hustle), Chris Chiozza (Capital City Go-Go), Charles Cooke (Sioux Falls Skyforce), Michael Frazier II (Rio Grande Valley Vipers), Reggie Hearn (Stockton Kings), D.J. Hogg (Delaware Blue Coats), Tanner McGrew (Salt Lake City Stars), Xavier Munford (Wisconsin Herd), Cameron Reynolds (Stockton Kings), Emanuel Terry (Sioux Falls Skyforce) and Travis Trice (Austin Spurs).
Former NBA head coach Jeff Van Gundy, who has led the USA to an 8-2 record in FIBA Americas World Cup Qualifying action and earned the United States a qualifying berth for the 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup, again is head coach of the USA Basketball Men's World Cup Qualifying Team. Former University of Georgia head coach Mark Fox and former Georgetown University head coach John Thompson III again are serving as USA assistant coaches.
"Beginning in July 2017 with the AmeriCup and including the entire World Cup Qualifying process that started back in November 2017, this has been an incredible journey and we are now focused on completing the FIBA Americas World Cup Qualifying with a pair of home games against two very well coached national teams," said Van Gundy. "We look forward to the challenge of playing Panama and Argentina and doing so in Greensboro on our home court and in front of our fans.
"It's obviously helpful to have four players returning who have previous World Cup Qualifying game experience and I'm also looking forward to working with our new players. Whether it is demonstrated by the players who have returned, or the eagerness of the new players to represent the United States, I've really been struck by the commitment and the excitement our players have shown in being part of the process of qualifying the USA for the 2019 FIBA World Cup."
Including Onuaku, five of the U.S. players have NBA regular season experience: Cooke (13 games with New Orleans Pelicans); Hearn (three games with Detroit Pistons); Munford (20 games with Milwaukee Bucks and Memphis Grizzlies) and Terry (two games with Phoenix Suns).
With a total of seven 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifying berths going to the top three finishing teams in each of the Americas two second round groups and to the best ranked fourth place team, Argentina (9-1) and the USA (8-2) from second-round Group E, and Venezuela (9-1) and Canada (8-2) in Group F already have captured a qualifying berth for 2019 FIBA World Cup. Puerto Rico (6-4) and Uruguay (6-4) in Group E and Brazil (7-3) and Dominican Republic (6-4) in Group F remain in contention for the last three Americas qualifying berths. Group E teams Mexico (3-6) and Panama (3-6), and Group F teams Chile (2-8) and U.S. Virgin Islands (2-8) no longer are in contention for a World Cup qualifying berth.
The full Americas World Cup Qualifying schedule/results can be found here.
Tickets for the two games at the Fieldhouse can be purchased here or at the Greensboro Coliseum box office.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 12, 2019
- Suns Eclipse Vipers to Earn Eighth Win of the Season - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Windy City Scores Season-High 126 Points, Beats Wisconsin 126-110 - Windy City Bulls
- Chiozza's Fourth Quarter Effort Leads Go-Go Past Knicks - Capital City Go-Go
- Willie Reed Named to Midseason All-NBA G League Team - Salt Lake City Stars
- Drive's Streak Snapped by Swarm - Grand Rapids Drive
- D.J. Hogg Added to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp Roster - Delaware Blue Coats
- Austin Spurs to Host Raptors 905 at the AT&T Center on Friday, March 8 - Austin Spurs
- Hustle Forward Kyle Casey Invited to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp - Memphis Hustle
- Greensboro Swarm Adds Connor Burchfield - Greensboro Swarm
- Drive's Streak Snapped by Swarm - Grand Rapids Drive
- Tanner McGrew Named to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team - Salt Lake City Stars
- Chris Chiozza to Play for Team USA FIBA World Cup Qualifying Team - Capital City Go-Go
- Xavier Munford Named to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team - Wisconsin Herd
- Chinanu Onuaku to Participate in February Training Camp for USA Basketball's Men's World Cup Qualifying Team - Greensboro Swarm
- Cooke, Terry Added to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp Roster - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Travis Trice Confirmed for USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp - Austin Spurs
- Thirteen Athletes Confirmed for USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Westchester Meets Capital City for Tuesday Battle - Westchester Knicks
- Austin Spurs Acquire Devon Bookert and Jeff Coby - Austin Spurs
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- Swarm Announce Early Access Home Dates for 2019-20 Season
- Swarm Dispatch Legends in Sold out Season Finale
- Swarm Falter to Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Swarm to Host Fan Appreciation Night, Presented by Allegacy Federal Credit Union
- Joe Chealey Undergoes Successful Surgery