Chinooks Topple Rafters
Wisconsin Rapids, WI - Jesse Slinger would take the mound after an offensive battle the night before. This season, Slinger supports a 2-0 record, a 4.03 ERA, and has struck out a total of 28 batters. He has never faced Wisconsin Rapids this year.
Both teams would threaten in the first, but no runs come across. It would be same story in the second and both teams would produce singles but nothing else. Scoring would get started n the top of the third. Nathan Aide was able to reach on an error. Jake Thompson would move Aide over on a ground out. After a drop third strike was lost and called a wild pitch, Aide would come around and scored from second.
Aidan Huggins would answer the Chinooks right back with a homerun. Moving to the fourth the game would remain even. Lakeshore would continue their offensive success in the fourth as they would load the bases with two outs. The Lakeshore Chinooks have seemed to produce most of their runs this season with tow outs on the board. It was not to be in this inning as Nathan Aide would fly out. Slinger would retire the Rafters 1-2-3 in the bottom of the fourth.
With both offenses being retired in the fifth inning, it was starting to look like a pitcher duel would ensue for the remainder of the game. Troy black would have something to say about that in the following inning. With two outs once again, Troy Black would give the Chinooks the lead with a solo homerun. Slinger would allow another Wisconsin Rapids runner to reach after giving up a walk. The runner would steal second and an error by the Chinooks second baseman would allow the Rafters to tie the game once again. Slinger would be pulled after six and two thirds innings. He struck out eight in his outing.
Brendan McGuigan would sub in for Slinger. This was the first time McGuigan faced the Rafters as well. He would work an inning and third only allowing one hit. Both teams would go scoreless till the toil top of the ninth. Lakeshore would pour it on in the last inning of regulation. Griffin Doersching got things starting with a single. An error by the Raters would allow Doersching to score. A double by Trent Bauer would bring around tow more runs for Lakeshore. Trenton Wallace and Troy Black would walk, and the Chinooks would bat around as Doersching would step to the plate once again. He'd walk and that would bring in another run. Cole Barr would proceed to walk, and another run would cross the plate for Lakeshore. Nathan Aide would strikeout and the ninth inning rally was over.
Luke Sommerfeld would take the mound for Lakeshore. A ground out to the pitcher would start the inning. Sommerfeld would strike out remaining two batters.
McGuigan would earn the win for Lakeshore and the record would move to 31-33 for the season. The record stands at 15-13 for the second half and the Chinooks remain three games back of the Rafters.
Lakeshore travels back to Kapco Park to take on the last place Wisconsin Woodchucks.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 3, 2019
- Eau Claire Cannot Rally Back in Duluth - Eau Claire Express
- MoonDogs' Offense Erupts in Win over Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Mallards Outlasted 7-6 by Rivets - Madison Mallards
- Booyah Squash Pit Spitters - Green Bay Booyah
- Koenig and Barth Set Records as First Place Rox Beat Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Sankey's Masterful Eight Innings Shutdown Growlers - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Highlight Reel Moments Lead to Cats Win - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Larks Lose Heartbreaker in Extras - Bismarck Larks
- Bombers Flounder against Fish - Battle Creek Bombers
- Stingers Defeated by Express - Willmar Stingers
- Elvir's Shot, Muniz's Gem Guides Dogs to Win over Bucks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rafters Hold off Jackrabbits for Game One Victory - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Parkinson, Holcomb Shine in 1-0 Bucks Loss - Waterloo Bucks
- Border Cats Walk-Off Duluth 3-2 - Duluth Huskies
- Playoff Push Continues for Rafters against Kokomo - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Roster Violation Changes Standings in Great Plains East Division - Northwoods
- Rafters Announce 2019 Playoff Ticket Pricing - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Chinooks Topple Rafters - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Larks Win with Back to Back Walk-Offs - Bismarck Larks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.