Chicago Fire Names WPWR My50 Chicago as Official Television Partner
CHICAGO, Ill. (March 5, 2013) - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced that WPWR My50 Chicago will be the official television broadcast partner of the Chicago Fire for the 2013 season. WPWR My50 Chicago will begin its coverage of the Fire for the Men in Red's match against Chivas USA at Toyota Park on Sunday, March 24 at 4:00 p.m. CT. Over the course of its 16th season as many as 23 of the Fire's matches will be shown live on My50 Chicago. Seasoned play-by-play announcer Dan Kelly will partner with Kevin Egan in the broadcast booth for matches on My50 Chicago.
"We are thrilled to announce our new partnership with My50 Chicago as the 'Home of the Fire' for Chicago Fire matches throughout the 2013 season," said Fire COO Atul Khosla. "Placing all of our matches on a local channel and providing destination programming is integral to the growth of our club. My50 Chicago is a widely available, over the air local affiliate committed to building connectivity throughout the Chicagoland area through soccer and the Chicago Fire. We're looking forward to cultivating our relationship this season."
In addition to the at least 20 matches available in HD on My50 Chicago, the Fire will appear on national broadcasts NBC Sports Network (eight games), ESPN (one game), ESPN2 (one game), Univision (one game) and UniMas (five games) throughout the season. National TV coverage of the Fire resumes for Opening Night at Toyota Park against the New England Revolution on Saturday, March 9 at 6:30 p.m. CT live on NBC Sports Network.
"My50 is extremely proud to be the official "home of the Fire" for the 2013 season," said Dennis Welsh, Vice President and General Manager of My50. "The Fire is coming off a successful 2012 season and we are looking forward to providing our viewers all the live action throughout the coming season. Partnering with the Fire is just another example of My50's commitment to bringing appointment local programming to Chicago area viewers."
Kelly returns for his fourth season as the official voice of the Chicago Fire Soccer Club. Prior to joining the Fire as the club's play-by-play announcer, the St. Louis product called play-by-play for the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks on Comcast SportsNet from 2006-2008. In addition, Kelly has done play-by-play for the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Big Ten Network, Denver University Men's hockey and for MLS games on HDNet.
Egan is a television sports journalist from Dublin, Ireland, who's covered the game of soccer at the highest level. After working for RTE (Ireland's National Broadcaster) for five years, Egan moved to Chicago in 2009 and began working for the Big Ten Network. At BTN, Egan commentates on Big Ten soccer matches, while also presenting 'BTN Soccer Report', an online show covering the beautiful game within Big Ten country.
The entire Chicago Fire schedule including all of its broadcasts on WPWR My50 Chicago can be found at www.Chicago-Fire.com/schedule.
The Fire host Opening Night at Toyota Park against the New England Revolution on Saturday, March 9 at 6:30 p.m. CT (NBC Sports Network). Chicago Fire Season Tickets are available by calling 1-888-MLS-Fire, via Ticketmaster or by heading to the club's official website at www.Chicago-Fire.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 5, 2013
- Davis' Late Goal Lifts Dynamo over Santos Laguna 1-0 in Champions League - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- CSN's "State of the Revs" Returns - New England Revolution
- Revs Eye Return to Postseason in 2013 - New England Revolution
- Chandler Hoffman Ready for a Fresh Start with the Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Announce Reading United Friendly - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Signs 2013 MLS SuperDraft Pick Taylor Kemp - D.C. United
- Quebec Goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau Makes the Jump - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Launch Saskatchewan Academy Centre - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Quarterfinals Commence in CONCACAF Champions League - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Dynamo Host Santos Laguna in First Leg of Champions League Quarterfinals Tonight - Houston Dynamo
- Sal Zizzo Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Veteran Journalist Richard Fleming to Join Rapids as Director of Broadcasting - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids and Altitude Announce New Broadcast Talent for 2013 - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Names WPWR My50 Chicago as Official Television Partner - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Sign Matt Kassel - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Advance to Quarterfinal Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with 1-0 Road Win over Atlanta United
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Selected as Finalist for ESPN's 2018 Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year Award
- Chicago Fire Continue Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quest against Atlanta United, Travel to Face Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Earn Point in 2-2 Road Draw with Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Travel to Face Colorado Rapids