Whitecaps FC Launch Saskatchewan Academy Centre
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today the launch of a new Whitecaps FC Saskatchewan Academy Centre - the first such centre outside of British Columbia within the club's Western Canada Major League So ccer (MLS) territory.
The new Academy Centre will be based out of Saskatoon and led by Bryce Chapman, head coach of the University of Saskatchewan Huskie men's soccer program. With the support of Vancouver staff, Chapman will serve as Whitecaps FC Saskatchewan Academy regional head coach.
"We're very pleased to launch this academy centre in Saskatchewan and are very appreciative of the support from the University of Saskatchewan and to have the expertise of a CIS men's head coach to lead this program," said Dan Lenarduzzi, Whitecaps FC director of soccer development. "The academy centre is excited to work along-side and support the Saskatchewan provincial and national team program. We have a huge amount of respect for what these organizations are doing and together, we will work to help grow the game in Saskatchewan and provide further opportunities and options for local players as part of our professional club system and network."
Chapman is entering his ninth year as head coach of the University of Saskatchewan Huskie men's soccer team. Having previously been named Canada West Coach of the Year, Chapman has also been the head coach of the Huskie United Soccer Academy (HUSA) for four years. Prior to this announcement, HUSA had partnered with Whitecaps FC to run a pilot Academy program in the winter which has included boys U-16 and U-18 teams. These teams will now become part of Whitecaps FC Saskatchewan Academy centre programs.
"I'm very excited to be joining Whitecaps FC and to help build the Saskatchewan Academy centre programs" stated Chapman. "Through this partnership with Whitecaps FC and the University, along with previously established local relationships, we look forward to serving the best interests of players and coaches as we continue to foster the development of soccer in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and Canada."
Whitecaps FC Academy Centres are a network of regional Whitecaps FC training hubs linked through key staff, curriculum, and standards that provide professional supplemental club training for serious, motivated players. Other current Academy Centres are located on Vancouver Island and in Vancouver, the Okanagan, and the Kootenays, with additional locations planned.
With this new Academy Centre, players in Saskatchewan will be provided with greater opportunities to be scouted into Whitecaps FC development programs. Already this year, Saskatchewan-based players Ty Werbicki and Tyler Redl were in Vancouver to train with Whitecaps FC Residency teams.
Whitecaps FC Saskatchewan Academy will operate through August with an abbreviated schedule of programs. The current U-15 and U-18 Prospects Academy teams will run through July and both will attend the Whitecaps FC College Showcase in March in Vancouver. Initially this spring, Whitecaps FC will also launch a U-10 and U-12 Prospects Academy program as well as a Skills Academy for boys and girls U-6 to U-14.
In addition to the Academy programs, Whitecaps FC Saskatchewan regional Camps will be available in the summer in a variety of locations.
Additional programming will begin in September 2013.
For more information on Whitecaps FC Saskatchewan Academy Centre programs please visit whitecapsfc.com/sask .
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 5, 2013
- Davis' Late Goal Lifts Dynamo over Santos Laguna 1-0 in Champions League - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- CSN's "State of the Revs" Returns - New England Revolution
- Revs Eye Return to Postseason in 2013 - New England Revolution
- Chandler Hoffman Ready for a Fresh Start with the Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Announce Reading United Friendly - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Signs 2013 MLS SuperDraft Pick Taylor Kemp - D.C. United
- Quebec Goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau Makes the Jump - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Launch Saskatchewan Academy Centre - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Quarterfinals Commence in CONCACAF Champions League - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Dynamo Host Santos Laguna in First Leg of Champions League Quarterfinals Tonight - Houston Dynamo
- Sal Zizzo Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Veteran Journalist Richard Fleming to Join Rapids as Director of Broadcasting - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids and Altitude Announce New Broadcast Talent for 2013 - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Names WPWR My50 Chicago as Official Television Partner - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Sign Matt Kassel - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.