Chicago Fire FC Falls 3-0 to Columbus Crew at Lower.com Field
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Chicago Fire FC (8-12-9, 33 points) fell 3-0 to the Columbus Crew (14-9-6, 48 points) at Lower.com Field on Wednesday night.
Columbus scored all three goals in the first half, as the home team was awarded consecutive penalty kicks in an eight-minute stretch early in the first half. Striker Cucho Hernández converted his initial attempt from the spot in the eighth minute of play, before finishing another penalty kick in the 16th minute. Hernández then scored his third and final goal of the match on a header from a corner kick in the 23rd minute.
Chicago was forced to make an early substitution when defender Mauricio Pineda went down in the 25th minute. Pineda was replaced by Wyatt Omsberg, who made his first League appearance for the Fire since July 1. Shortly afterward, defender Carlos Terán entered the match for team captain Rafael Czichos at the halftime break, with the German defender being forced to exit due to injury. The Fire would then finish the match with 10 men after midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri was shown a second yellow card in the 66th minute.
Following the result, Chicago sits in 11th place in the Eastern Conference standings, three points below the playoff line with five matches remaining in the 2023 regular season.
NEXT MATCH: The Fire will return to the lakefront on Saturday, Sept. 23 as the Club hosts the New England Revolution at Soldier Field at 7:30 p.m. CT. The upcoming contest will serve as the Club's annual Hispanic Heritage Night and the first 5,000 fans to enter Soldier Field will receive a Fire-themed Luchador Mask as part of the night's festivities.
Tickets to attend the match are available for purchase here. The match will also be broadcast live on MLS Season Pass on Apple TV and will be transmitted locally on WLS-AM 890 in English and in Spanish on TUDN 1200 AM.
Social: Twitter - @chicagofire, @vamosfire (Hashtags: #CF97 #VamosFire) | Instagram - @chicagofire | Facebook
With the result, the Fire's all-time regular season record against the Crew now stands at 27-25-23 in 75 matches played since the 1998 season.
Midfielders Javier Casas (right lower leg), Chris Mueller (right upper leg) and Federico Navarro (left upper leg), and forward Victor Bezerra (right lower leg) were not available for selection in tonight's match.
Columbus Crew 3:0 Chicago Fire FC
CLB - Hernández (11) (penalty) (WATCH) 8'
CLB - Hernández (12) (penalty (WATCH) 16'
CLB - Hernández (13) (Gressel 6) (WATCH) 23'
CHI - Brady (Yellow Card) 8'
CHI - Souquet (Yellow Card) 13'
CHI - Czichos (Yellow Card) 33'
CHI - Shaqiri (Yellow Card) 44'
CHI - Shaqiri (Second Yellow, Ejection) 66'
CHI - Koutsias (Yellow Card) 72'
CHI - Przybyłko (Yellow Card) 74'
Chicago Fire FC: GK Brady, D Souquet (Dean, 46'), D Pineda (Omsberg, 29'), D Czichos (capt.) (Terán, 46'), D Aceves, M Doumbia, M Giménez (Herbers, 57'), M Haile-Selassie, M Shaqiri, M Torres (Przybyłko, 70'), F Koutsias
Subs not used: GK Richey, D M. Navarro, M Gutiérrez, F Kamara
Columbus Crew: GK Schulte, D Camacho, D Gressel (Farsi, 46'), D Amundsen, D Moreira, M Nagbe (capt.) (Medranda, 82'), M Morris (Zawadski, 46'), M Yeboah, M Matan (Molino, 70", F Hernández (Ramírez, 70'), F Rossi
Subs not used: GK Bush, D Cherberko, M Arftsen, F Russell-Rowe
Stats Summary: CLB / CHI
Shots: 17 / 8
Shots on Goal: 4 / 1
Saves: 1 / 2
Passing Accuracy: 91.9% / 82.4%
Corners: 6 / 3
Fouls: 6 / 14
Offsides: 1 / 2
Possession: 65.5% / 33.5%
Referee: Ismir Pekmic
Assistant Referees: Claudiu Badea, Justin Howard
Fourth Official: Marcos DeOliveira
VAR: Younes Marrakchi
Assistant VAR: Fabio Tovar
Images from this story
Chicago Fire FC versus Columbus Crew
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 20, 2023
- After Going Unbeaten in Four Road Matches, 'Caps Suffer Their First Defeat of the Extended Road Stretch - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- CF Montréal Draws FC Cincinnati, 1-1 - Club de Foot Montreal
- Austin FC Plays to 1-1 Draw Against New York Red Bulls - Austin FC
- Atlanta United Earns 1-1 Draw at D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City SC Clinch Playoff Berth in Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs - Orlando City SC
- Union Clinch Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs Berth; Gazdag Scores 13th Goal of the Season - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 3-0 to Columbus Crew at Lower.com Field - Chicago Fire FC
- FC Cincinnati Score in Dying Minutes to Earn Point in Montréal - FC Cincinnati
- Full Time: Late Penalty Takes Points Away from Charlotte FC in Draw Against Philadelphia Union - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF (4) - Toronto FC (0) Postgame Summary - Toronto FC
- NYCFC Gets Past Orlando City SC - New York City FC
- Sounders FC Travels to Face the Colorado Rapids Tonight in Midweek Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Host Minnesota United FC at Dignity Health Sports Park Tonight, Wednesday, September 20 - LA Galaxy
- Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs Clinching and Elimination Scenarios - Matchday 33 (September 20) - MLS
- Rapids vs. Seattle Sounders FC Preview - Colorado Rapids
- Brandon Vazquez's Contributions Go Far Beyond Goal Scoring - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Announce Watch Party Locations for Final Road Matches of the Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- Avocados from Mexico ® Partners with LA Galaxy - LA Galaxy
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Hispanic Heritage Commemorative Jersey Auction - Chicago Fire FC
- New York City Football Club Hosts 2023 Noche Latina Match - New York City FC
- The Away End: Orlando City SC with Luis Pineda - New York City FC
- Austin FC Signs Joe Hafferty to Short-Term Agreement - Austin FC
- Injury Report: Four Absent vs. Orlando City - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire FC Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Names Frank Klopas Head Coach
- Magellan Corporation Named Official Partner of Chicago Fire FC
- Chicago Fire FC Announces 2023 Roster Decisions
- Chicago Fire FC Signs Midfielder Brian Gutiérrez to Homegrown U-22 Initiative Contract
- Chicago Fire FC Sporting Director Georg Heitz Signs Contract Extension