Checkers Escape with 4-2 Win over Devils
BINGHAMTON - Despite scoring two shorthanded goals, the Binghamton Devils fell to the Charlotte Checkers on Friday night inside Bojangles' Coliseum, 4-2.
Trevor Carrick started the scoring for the first-place Checkers just 52 seconds into the game. Nick Shilkey fed Carrick pinching in from the blue line and he beat goaltender Evan Cormier for the 1-0 lead. The goal was Carrick's eighth of the year with assists from Schilkey and Andrew Poturalski.
Binghamton answered back with a shorthanded goal to tie the game up at one. Eric Tangradi forced a turnover to create an odd-man rush and ripped a shot over the left shoulder of goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic 8:40 into the game. Tangradi's goal was unassisted and his eighth of the year and the game was even at one after one period.
The Checkers scored two goals in 28 seconds to take a two-goal lead. Just as Eric Gryba's penalty was coming to an end, Patrick Brown jammed home a loose puck for a 2-1 lead at 13:54. The goal was Brown's 12th of the season with assists from Janne Kuokkanen and Trevor Carrick.
Julien Gauthier fired in his 18th of the year on a two-on-none rush to give the Checkers a 3-1 lead at 14:22. They took that lead onto the second intermission, along with a 25-13 shot advantage.
Brett Seney scored Binghamton's second shorthanded of the night on a breakaway at 5:44 of the third period to pull the Devils within one goal. The puck hopped by Carrick and Seney blew by him and beat Nedeljkovic with a wrist shot for his second of the year, unassisted.
After the Devils were forced to kill a late penalty in the one-goal game and when it concluded the Checked tapped in an empty-net goal for a 4-2 win. Cormier stopped 33 of 36 in in the loss while Nedeljkovic picked up the win with 21 saves.
The Binghamton Devils return home next Friday and Saturday, March 8 and March 9 as they host Springfield and Rochester. Friday is a 4-Pack Night along with Irish Night. Then, it's a Saturday 2-Pack and Faith & Family Night against Rochester. Call or text "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Binghamton Devils full season memberships are now available for the 2019-20 season! Get great benefits such as FREE New Jersey Devils NHL tickets,exclusive access to Devils players, a brand new referral program, gift cards, and much more! For information on becoming a member, text "MEMBER" to 607-722-7367.
Download the FREE Binghamton Devils mobile app for Apple and Android. Get live score updates and breaking news notifications right to your phone!
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils defenseman Desmond Bergin (right) against the Charlotte Checkers
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2019
- Rampage Comeback Spoiled in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Sens Fall in Overtime to Manitoba - Belleville Senators
- Stars Early Lead Ripped Away in 2-1 Overtime Loss - Texas Stars
- Penguins Pull off 2-1 Shootout Win at Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Fall at Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Push Winning Streak to Six - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Shutout Phantoms, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose Go OT to Topple Belleville - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Ground Rocket at the Q, 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Struggles at Springfield Continue - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Fall 2-1 in OT Shootout to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- T-Birds Dominant in Win over Wolf Pack - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Bears Drop OT Decision in Utica, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Strike Down Devils for Third Straight Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Kiss Hershey Goodbye in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Checkers Escape with 4-2 Win over Devils - Binghamton Devils
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Riley Bourbonnais to PTO - Iowa Wild
- Brookfield Native Grosenick Resigned by Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Thunderbirds Sign D Keoni Texeira and D Alex Breton to PTOs - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Senators Announce Season Ticket and Flex Packages for 2019-20 AHL Season - Belleville Senators
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Boyle to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Batherson Named February CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - Belleville Senators
- Carr Earns AHL Player of Month Honor - Chicago Wolves
- Carr, Batherson, Starrett Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for February - AHL
- Florida Panthers Loan D Riley Stillman to Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Stockton Faces off with San Diego Friday - Stockton Heat
- Judah & the Lion to Perform Post-Game March 8 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Super Bowl LIII Lombardi Trophy Coming to Springfield Saturday Night for Fan Photos with Trey Flowers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Appleby Reassigned to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Jets Recall Eric Comrie from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Home Tonight on 17-Game Win Streak - Bakersfield Condors
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Matt Read from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Winning Wednesday and Purple Community Game - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Thunderbirds Begin 3-Game Weekend vs. Division Foes against Wolf Pack - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game Preview: Bears at Comets, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Moose, March 1 - Belleville Senators
- Character and Resiliency Make the Difference in a 5-4 Rocket Victory - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.