Charlotte Independence and Heal Charlotte Team up for Successful First Community Clinic
CHARLOTTE - The Charlotte Independence held its first community clinic in conjunction with Heal Charlotte this past Saturday, Aug. 29 at the Mallard Creek YMCA.
First team players Brandon Miller, Shalom Dutey, and Tresor Mbuyu along with goalkeeping coach Nate Walzer and members of the Charlotte Independence Soccer Club staff provided soccer training and meals.
"The first Heal Charlotte soccer clinic was a great success," said Miller. "The Independence did a great job hosting the event and the kids loved meeting the professional players, coaches, and Independence Soccer Club youth players."
"It's important to expose the kids to the sport of soccer and give them role models that they can look up to. That's one of the big reasons I'm involved with the clinics."
The Independence also teamed up with corporate partners Novant Health, Famous Toastery, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Pepsi. Famous Toastery and Dick's Sporting Goods provided meals and equipment, while Novant Health and Pepsi provided each player and staff member with a mask and water.
Greg Jackson, Founder, Heal Charlotte, said: "This was an awesome opportunity to have some sports activities for the kids in the midst of COVID-19. We want to thank the Charlotte Independence, Brandon Miller, the Keith family YMCA, and Famous Toastery. We can't wait to continue this partnership."
The goals of the clinics are to reach kids 6 to 12 years old, with a positive message about physical fitness, nutrition and values learned through sports. The other goal of the clinics is to drive awareness of and donations to the two non-profit organizations that serve the greater Charlotte region.
With the help of the Independence Soccer Club staff, local non-profit organizations, club corporate partners, and first-team players, the Independence will host at least 20 more clinics, similar to last Saturday, over the course of the next year with a goal to benefit areas of the community that are underserved and economically challenged.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 1, 2020
- Hounds Victorious against Loudoun, 3-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Around the Leagues Ã¢ÂÂ USL, NWSL and MLS - Sacramento Republic FC
- SD Loyal Signs Trio of Players Through 2020 Season - San Diego Loyal
- Charlotte Independence V Memphis 901: Match Preview - Charlotte Independence
- 11-Year Major League Soccer Veteran MLS Cup Champion Quincy Amarikwa Signs with Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC vs. North Carolina FC - Wednesday, September 2 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Orange County SC Loans Thomas Enevoldsen to Horbro IK - Orange County SC
- Union II Matches Rescheduled - Philadelphia Union II
- Matches against Philadelphia Union II Rescheduled - Hartford Athletic
- OC Play Host Los Dos in Tight Playoff Race - Orange County SC
- Brett, Parker, Servania All Named to USL Championship's Team of the Week - Birmingham Legion FC
- Charlotte Independence and Heal Charlotte Team up for Successful First Community Clinic - Charlotte Independence
- Billy Forbes Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Austin Bold FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Philadelphia Union II - Atlanta United 2
- Christian Volesky Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Pittsburgh's Ryan James earns Player of the Week after standout display against Hartford - USL
- Corey Hertzog Named to USL Team of the Week - Reno 1868 FC
- Preview: RGV FC Looking Ahead to Wednesday Night at FC Tulsa - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Independence Stories
- Charlotte Independence Continues 2021 Deposits
- Kelly and Miller Shortlisted for 2020 USL Championship Awards
- Dane Kelly and Brandon Miller Named to 2020 USL Championship All-League Second Team
- Independence Teamed up with Alianza de Futbol to Host Successful Distribution Event
- Independence to Help Host Alianza Contigo in Support of the Hispanic Community this Saturday