Preview: RGV FC Looking Ahead to Wednesday Night at FC Tulsa
EDINBURG, Texas (Tues.) - Rio Grande Valley FC (0-7-3) hits the road as they face a two-game road trip. First stop will be at FC Tulsa (2-2-4) as the Toros are looking to earn the first win of the 2020 season live on ESPN+.
Here are your three key points:
With not being able to earn a win thus far, the Toros find themselves in a tight situation as they need to earn three points in order to continue to have playoffs hopes. RGV FC are currently placed last of Group D with only three points while six matches remain. The Toros need to win to not jeopardize having an early season-ending. The offensive efforts have yet to fully improve as only eight goals have been scored, giving an 8.9% conversion rate. According to Opta Stats, 50% of the attacking force was used on the left side of the field last match - which displays the difference that newcomer Ian Hoffmann made along with Robert Coronado and Christian Lucatero. Hoffmann was able to be a threat this past Friday against San Antonio FC as he totaled three shots, one on target while earning four tackles and two interceptions. Lucatero stepped up his game as he set up Robert Castellanos to goal while also creating a chance and totaling one shot with one on target.
There is no doubt that Castellanos has filled the captain arm band well. He now leads the club with two goals - most in his career. While he leads on the goal board, Castellanos also leads with 11 shots, tied with Juan Carlos Obregon Jr. He has also made 429 passes, setting him with an 84.1% passing accuracy. Castellanos not only leads the offensive efforts, but he also leads the Toros and the USL Championship with 73 clearances, which makes him key on the defensive line. To add, Castellanos has totaled 14 blocks, 16 interceptions and 10 tackles - making him a well-around key player for the club.
FC Tulsa enters Wednesday's matchup with a 2-2-4 record, but with a two-game losing streak. The Toros hold a 2-3-0 record at ONEOK Field, which increases the opportunity for RGV FC. Though, last time both teams met was at H-E-B Park where both clubs probably played the longest match they had played (3-hour delay, plus another stoppage during first half due to inclement weather). Tulsa suffered a 2-1 loss to Sporting Kansas City II at home last Saturday night and have yet been able to earn three points at their home field. FC Tulsa has conceded nine goals while keeping two clean sheets. They have also found the back of the net on nine occasions with only 33 total shots on target. Ariel Martinez, Dario Suarez and Rodrigo da Costa lead Tulsa with two goals each. Suarez leads with 16 shots with Marlon right behind at 13. Lebo Moloto has created 10 chances for the club in eight appearances. Goalkeeper Sean Lewis has totaled 26 saves with 35 shots faced and has kept two clean sheets thus far.
RGV FC at FC Tulsa
ONEOK Field - Tulsa, Oklahoma
September 2 - 7:00 p.m. CST
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 1, 2020
- Hounds Victorious against Loudoun, 3-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Around the Leagues Ã¢ÂÂ USL, NWSL and MLS - Sacramento Republic FC
- SD Loyal Signs Trio of Players Through 2020 Season - San Diego Loyal
- Charlotte Independence V Memphis 901: Match Preview - Charlotte Independence
- 11-Year Major League Soccer Veteran MLS Cup Champion Quincy Amarikwa Signs with Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC vs. North Carolina FC - Wednesday, September 2 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Orange County SC Loans Thomas Enevoldsen to Horbro IK - Orange County SC
- Union II Matches Rescheduled - Philadelphia Union II
- Matches against Philadelphia Union II Rescheduled - Hartford Athletic
- OC Play Host Los Dos in Tight Playoff Race - Orange County SC
- Brett, Parker, Servania All Named to USL Championship's Team of the Week - Birmingham Legion FC
- Charlotte Independence and Heal Charlotte Team up for Successful First Community Clinic - Charlotte Independence
- Billy Forbes Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Austin Bold FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Philadelphia Union II - Atlanta United 2
- Christian Volesky Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Pittsburgh's Ryan James earns Player of the Week after standout display against Hartford - USL
- Corey Hertzog Named to USL Team of the Week - Reno 1868 FC
- Preview: RGV FC Looking Ahead to Wednesday Night at FC Tulsa - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- H-E-B Park Hosts Copa RGV, Presented by Solo Futbol RGV
- RGV FC Present Donations Raised to Friends for Hope
- Houston Dynamo Will Not be Renewing the Contract of Head Coach Gerson Echeverry with RGV FC
- Kibato Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Toros Fans Bring the Energy as RGV FC Defeat OKC 4-2 at Home