Champions League Dates & Times Confirmed, Rapids to Host Comunicaciones FC on February 23
The Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League announced on Friday the dates and times for the Round of 16 matchups between the Colorado Rapids and Guatemalan side Comunicaciones FC. The first leg will be hosted in Guatemala on Thursday, February 17 at 6:00 PM MT before the Rapids host the second leg on Wednesday, February 23 at 6:30 PM MT. The game is expected to be held at DICK'S Sporting Good Park, but is not confirmed. The venues hosting each match will be announced by Concacaf in January of 2022.
Because of the Rapids' higher seed in the draw, the sides will return to Colorado at altitude for the second leg.
Comunicaciones landed its Champions League spot after clinching a semifinal spot in the Concacaf League Playoffs after beating every side it faced in the 22- team bracket-style tournament. The Guatemalan side eventually claiming the championship title on December 14 when it defeated fellow Champions League opponent CF Motagua of Honduras 6-3 on aggregate. Their domination in the league and eventual crowning solidifies their worth as an opponent of Colorado in the first stage of the Champions League tournament.
In addition to its newly-minted championship status, Comunicaciones has won the Guatemalan League 30 times in club history. Six of those championships were recorded in consecutive years, marking an all-time record for the domestic league. But despite the numerous trophies, Comunicaciones hasn't made a Champions League appearance until now.
This is the third time the Rapids have competed in the SCCL. Their first appearance in 2011 was the prize for clinching the MLS Cup back in 2010. Rapids wouldn't see the tournament again until 2018, when they were knocked out by fellow MLS side Toronto FC in the Round of 16, who defeated the Rapids 2-0 on aggregate.
In the CCL Round of 16 series, the Rapids can face former MLS teammates Rodrigo Saravia (Columbus Crew) and Nicolas Samayoa (New England Revolution) with Comunicaciones.
2022 CCL matches will be widely available for fans across the region to follow and enjoy through the Confederation's TV partner networks, including FOX Sports (USA-English), TUDN (USA-Spanish), Fox Sports Mexico (Mexico-Spanish), ESPN (Central America-Spanish) and other local partners.
Matches will also be available on the Concacaf Official App (subject to territory restrictions). The free mobile app is available in the Apple and Google Play stores.
The Round of 16 will be followed by home and away quarterfinal matches in March, Semifinals and first leg final in April and the second leg final in the first week of May.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 17, 2021
- Chicago Fire FC Defender Jhon Espinoza Receives U.S. Green Card - Chicago Fire FC
- Austin FC Re-Signs Midfielder Jared Stroud to One-Year Deal - Austin FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Defender Alvas Powell - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Re-Signs Defender Nkosi Tafari - FC Dallas
- Charlotte FC's Current Roster Going into the Inaugural Season - Charlotte FC
- Dates Set for New England Revolution's 2022 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 Matchup with Cavaly AS - New England Revolution
- CF Montréal to Host Santos Laguna on February 22 at Olympic Stadium - Club de Foot Montreal
- Charlotte FC Signs Free Agent Forward Yordy Reyna - Charlotte FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Selects Josh Bauer in Stage 1 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft - Nashville SC
- Date and Times Set for Sounders FC's Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 Matchup with F.C. Motagua - Seattle Sounders FC
- Champions League Dates & Times Confirmed, Rapids to Host Comunicaciones FC on February 23 - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers, Thorns FC Partner with StatsBomb - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire FC Name Junior González Assistant Coach - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Acquires Versatile Midfielder/Defender Mo Adams - Inter Miami CF
- Charlotte FC Signs Free Agent Defender Harrison Afful - Charlotte FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Goalkeeper Dylan Castanheira from Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City SC Re-Signs Midfielder Mauricio Pereyra - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Sign New Jersey Native Daniel Edelman to Homegrown Deal - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincinnati to Host 2022 eMLS League Series 1 Presented by Coca-Cola® January 15-16 - FC Cincinnati
- The Start of the Party: Looking Back at Charlotte's 2019 MLS Expansion Announcement - Charlotte FC
- Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field Named Winner of 2021 Harrison W. Smith Award - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Canadian International Mark-Anthony Kaye Called up to National Team for June Matches
- Robin Fraser Boosts Head Coaching Tenure with 50 Regular Season Wins
- SuperDraft Pick Anthony Markanich Showcases Versatility, Confidence in MLS Debut
- Captain Jack Price Selected to Team of the Week Following Performance against Seattle
- Colorado Rapids Best CCL Champions Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 to Extend Unbeaten Streak