Chacin's Solid Start Allows Cyclones to Leaver Jersey Shore Behind
CONEY ISLAND, NY - Jose Chacin stayed unbeaten at home and Zach Ashford drove in two runs as the Brooklyn Cyclones, the High-A affiliate of the New York Mets, evened the series at 2-2 with a 7-4 victory over the Jersey Shore Blue Claws Saturday night at Maimonides Park.
Win: Chacin (3-1) | Loss: Garcia (0-1) | Save: Parsons (1)
Cyclones starter Jose Chacin tossed a quality start, fanning seven over six innings of three-run ball in the victory. The righty allowed two runs in the top of the sixth, his final inning of the night, allowing an RBI triple to Herbert Iser and an RBI double to DJ Stewart to make it 6-3.
Zach Ashford and Raul Beracierta chipped in two runs in Brooklyn's three-run fifth inning, extending the lead to 6-1. Ashford collected an RBI fielder's choice, while Beracierta clubbed an RBI double into right-center field.
Brooklyn blitzed Jersey Shore for three early runs, scoring on Jose Peroza's RBI double, Luke Ritter's sacrifice fly, and Zach Ashford's RBI single against starter Julian Garcia to make it 3-0.
KEY CYCLONES PERFORMERS
Zach Ashford: 2-4, double, two RBIs, two runs
Jose Peroza: 2-4, double, RBI, two runs, walk
Jaylen Palmer: 1-3, two walks, two runs
Tanner Murphy: 2-4, stolen base
Jose Chacin: W, 6 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 7 K
NEWS AND NOTES
Over three home starts, Jose Chacin has allowed four earned runs over 17.2 innings (2.04 ERA).
The series is tied two games apiece. Jersey Shore is 16-12 against Brooklyn this season.
Zach Ashford is 7-21 over his past six games, with five RBIs. Hunter Parsons recorded his second-career save and second one of the week.
Cyclones vs. Jersey Shore, Saturday, 4 p.m. at Maimonides Park -- Coney Island, NY
Probables: RHP David Griffin (2-1, 5.13 ERA) vs. RHP Carlos Reyes (5-1, 3.00 ERA)
Audio: Brooklyn Cyclones Radio Network
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from September 17, 2021
- Renegades Beat Hoppers 3-2 to Even Series - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Crawdads Pinch Braves in Final Friday Game - Rome Braves
- Chacin's Solid Start Allows Cyclones to Leaver Jersey Shore Behind - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Dash Fall 14-4 to Tourists in Game Four - Winston-Salem Dash
- Claws Fall 7-4 Friday in Brooklyn - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Drive Lose, 1-0 - Greenville Drive
- Maimonides Park to Host Pete Alonso Homers for Heroes Charity Event September 27 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wilmington Blue Rocks Annual Judy Johnson Night Helps Keep His and Negro League Baseball's Legacy Alive - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (September 17) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Light up the Shore Laser Light Shows: October 8th & 9th - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Hoppers Clinch Spot in High-A East Championship Series - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Hoppers Punch Playoff Ticket - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Cyclones Lose a Wild One, 8-6 on Thursday Night - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Bootleggers Find Barrels in 10-2 Win on Thursday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.