Central American Star Striker Rodolfo Zelaya Arrives at Lights FC
Las Vegas, NV - Entering the final third of the 2019 USL Championship season, Lights FC struck a deal to reinforce their roster with top-notch national team caliber talent as elite Salvadoran striker Rodolfo Zelaya and Canadian defender Dejan Jakovic will join Las Vegas ahead of Saturday's road match against Orange County SC.
"I'm excited for our fans to get the opportunity to see Rodolfo Zelaya on our team. He's one of the most talented players to come out of Central America in the last decade," stated Lights FC manager Eric Wynalda. "He's a perfect fit for us, he's going to represent the goal-scoring prowess and experience that we sorely need. On a personal note, in my time with Fox as an analyst, I followed his career and I'm honored to receive the opportunity to manage him, he's a special player.
"The idea of adding players to our team is something that we've been thinking about for months now," said Wynalda. "The stars have aligned, we're getting cooperation from Bob Bradley's team (LAFC) and we couldn't be happier. It's what we need right now, strengthen our roster bringing in someone with experience who can score goals like Rodolfo Zelaya and of course Dejan Jakovic is already familiar with our team, to have him come back is a blessing." "Fito" has a total of 21 goals with the El Salvador National Team, scoring 8 of them in CONCACAF Gold Cup action.
Rodolfo Zelaya is one of the most decorated players in El Salvador soccer history, earning 44 caps with his national team where his 21 goals have him trailing only Raúl Díaz Arce as his country's top goalscorer. He represented his nation in FIFA World Cup qualifying action ahead of the 2010 and 2014 tournaments. Plus he played vital roles for El Salvador in the 2011 and 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cups, where he scored 4 goals in each.
Winner of four championships in the Salvadoran first division with league titans Alianza FC, he scored a total of 126 goals in his time with the club. Zelaya springboarded from his native country to play in Mexico for Club Leon, in Russia with FC Alania Vladikavkaz and eventually signing in January 2019 with Major League Soccer's Los Angeles FC.
"Rodolfo is a player I've watched for many years, I was really excited for him and his opportunity in LA,'' said Wynalda on the new addition to his roster. "Hopefully we can help him with our inclusion in his journey and as well he can help us, it's a win-win. There has to be a certain element of understanding from Fito's mentality, playing for Las Vegas Lights might be a way to prove to Bob Bradley that he is back in shape, he is in full form, and in the event that they take an injury or there is an opening, he'll be ready." Dejan Jakovic returns to Lights FC, in June the team went undefeated in the three games he played. Also joining Lights FC on loan from MLS side LAFC is defender Dejan Jakovic, who left his mark in Las Vegas earlier this season. He played in three games for the Lights in June, where the team obtained two wins and a draw, while only conceding a total of two goals. "We'd love to have Dejan all the time but he is somebody else's player, the fact that we were able to orchestrate a loan that makes sense for both parties is why we did it in the first place", said Wynalda. "Playing with us allows him to get the games, get the minutes, stay sharp so he can perform for his employer. We are just fortunate to have the opportunity to add him to the team every once in a while. He comes in and helps our team win." Both Zelaya and Jakovic will join Lights FC in Irvine, California and have been cleared by USL Championship to play in Saturday's match against Orange County SC. The game will be broadcast nationwide on ESPN+ . ABOUT LAS VEGAS LIGHTS FC
Lights FC brought to Las Vegas the highest level of soccer with its debut in 2018 as part of the United Soccer League. In its inaugural campaign, Lights FC was one of only 6 teams in the league to average over 7,000 fans per game by attracting 123,529 spectators (7,266 per game) to Cashman Field. For the second season in team history, US Men's National team legend Eric Wynalda was hired as the team's new manager, bringing added excitement to 2019 by winning his first game coaching Lights FC in dominant fashion 5-1 against 2017 MLS Cup champions Toronto FC.
Images from this story
Striker Rodolfo Zelaya with LAFC
Striker Rodolfo Zelaya
Dejan Jakovic with Las Vegas Lights FC
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 15, 2019
- Nashville SC Brings Love for Soccer to Cleveland Park Boys and Girls Club - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven to Recognize Tyler Trent Foundation at Sunday's Faith & Family Night - Indy Eleven
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Swope Park Rangers - Atlanta United 2
- Central American Star Striker Rodolfo Zelaya Arrives at Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- North Carolina FC Ready for Home Battle with Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - North Carolina FC
- Independence, The Invigory Announces Player Services Partnership - Charlotte Independence
- Match Preview at Orange County SC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Set to Visit Fresno FC on Friday - Real Monarchs SLC
- Phoenix Rising FC Readies for 1-Vs-2 Showdown on $1 Beer Night - Phoenix Rising FC
- Orange County SC Look for Separation against Las Vegas Lights - Orange County SC
- Preview: Nashville SC Aims for Sixth-Straight Clean Sheet against Charlotte Independence this Saturday - Nashville SC
- Fury FC's Run in the Canadian Championship Ends at BMO Field - Ottawa Fury FC
- Energy FC Travel to Portland Tomorrow as Playoff Race Heats Up - OKC Energy FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Acquire French World Cup Champion Alexy Bosetti - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Energy FC and El Paso Locomotive FC Agree to Swap Deal Between Alexy Bosetti and Derek Gebhard - OKC Energy FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Lights FC Closes 2020 Season
- Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II
- Lights FC Heads to Southern California for Two-Match Road Trip
- 11-Year Major League Soccer Veteran MLS Cup Champion Quincy Amarikwa Signs with Lights FC
- Lights FC Crushes Orange County's Undefeated Record with 3-1 Win