Preview: Nashville SC Aims for Sixth-Straight Clean Sheet against Charlotte Independence this Saturday
NASHVILLE - A showdown with the Charlotte Independance is Nashville SC's next order of business as it hunts down the top spot in the USL Championship standings. The team heads into the weekend in arguably its best form all year, with five consecutive cleans sheets and a historic unbeaten streak going strong. Earlier this year, Nashville drew 1-1 with Charlotte at First Tennessee Park. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. CT on Saturday, Aug. 17 in Matthews, N.C.
How to Follow
Local Television: MyTV30 with John Freeman and Ronnie Woodard
Radio: ESPN 94.9 Game 2 with Wes Boling
Digital Stream: ESPN+
Social Media: @NashvilleSC on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
Last Time Out
Nashville SC capped off its third match in eight days with a 0-0 draw against Bethlehem Steel FC on Saturday, Aug. 10. In prior matches last week, NSC had already accumulated six points in two wins and was looking to keep up the energy to earn another result at home. Nashville's attack engineered several opportunities on goal especially in the second half, but Bethlehem's crowded defense proved strong with goal line clearances and big saves. NSC keeper Matt Pickens along with a backline featuring MLS loanees Jimmy Ockford and Forrest Lasso had an outstanding performance to maintain the clean sheet for Nashville. After the match-packed week, Pickens, Ríos and Lasso were recognized by the league for their efforts.
Charlotte Independence has had less fortune than its upcoming opponent. The Independence hasn't won in four matches with its most recent victory coming over a month ago; however, its two losses in that span have been narrow 1-0 defeats by the hands of Birmingham Legion and Louisville City FC. Despite its poor form, Charlotte is still in the hunt for a playoff spot currently sitting in 12th place with 25 points. The North Carolina team is near the end of the rankings for clean sheets with four compared to Nashville's 11, but sits just slightly higher when it comes to its attack and goals scored. Charlotte has 28 goals while Nashville boasts 41.
Storylines to Watch
Coming in Hot
Nashville's hot streak has boosted several players closer to meeting major career milestones over the last give games. Both Daniel Ríos and Cameron Lancaster are nearing there 50thcareer goals sitting with 27 and 49, respectively. Additionally, Pickens is close to 100 career clean sheets with just one more to go before hitting that mark. With three matches in eight days, these milestones could be reached sooner rather than later.
Clean Sheet Kings
After last Saturday's 0-0 draw against Bethlehem Steel FC, Nashville SC is tied with Western Conference leader Phoenix Rising FC in clean sheets. The team's 11 comes from Pickens' nine shutouts combined with Connor Sparrow's two. Nashville SC has the third fewest goals conceded with 19, one less than Phoenix.
After captain Michael Reed went out with a season-ending injury last Wednesday against Harford Athletic, the team has seen some rotation in the midfield. Ken Tribbett came back from injury and has played the last two matches in the center of the field as a defensive mid. When he entered the match for an injured Reed, Tribbett opened the flood gates with an impressive header to kick off the four unanswered goals for Nashville SC. The following match, he played a full 90 minutes in the defensive mid role, helping the team earn a shutout for the fifth time in a row. Midfielder Matt LaGrassa has also returned from injury, subbing in for late into the match for Bolu Akinyode against Bethlehem Steel FC. He will be another option for head coach Gary Smith to utilize in the midfield come Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 15, 2019
- Nashville SC Brings Love for Soccer to Cleveland Park Boys and Girls Club - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven to Recognize Tyler Trent Foundation at Sunday's Faith & Family Night - Indy Eleven
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Swope Park Rangers - Atlanta United 2
- Central American Star Striker Rodolfo Zelaya Arrives at Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- North Carolina FC Ready for Home Battle with Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - North Carolina FC
- Independence, The Invigory Announces Player Services Partnership - Charlotte Independence
- Match Preview at Orange County SC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Set to Visit Fresno FC on Friday - Real Monarchs SLC
- Phoenix Rising FC Readies for 1-Vs-2 Showdown on $1 Beer Night - Phoenix Rising FC
- Orange County SC Look for Separation against Las Vegas Lights - Orange County SC
- Preview: Nashville SC Aims for Sixth-Straight Clean Sheet against Charlotte Independence this Saturday - Nashville SC
- Fury FC's Run in the Canadian Championship Ends at BMO Field - Ottawa Fury FC
- Energy FC Travel to Portland Tomorrow as Playoff Race Heats Up - OKC Energy FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Acquire French World Cup Champion Alexy Bosetti - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Energy FC and El Paso Locomotive FC Agree to Swap Deal Between Alexy Bosetti and Derek Gebhard - OKC Energy FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Randall Leal Called up to Costa Rica National Team for November CONCACAF Nations League Matches
- Doolsta Excited to Compete in First International FIFA 20 Competition of the Season
- Pickens, Tribbett, Davis Named to USL Championship All-Opta First Team
- Samuel Abraham Crowned Champion of Tennessee EA Sports FIFA 20 Challenge
- Nashville SC to Auction 2019 Branded Stadium Signage with All Proceeds Going to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital