'Cats Blanked by X's, 4-0, to Open 5-Game Road Trip
Sioux City, Iowa - A four-run fourth inning and seven shutout innings from Sioux City starter Justin Vernia was too much for Gary to overcome in Friday's series opener from Iowa as the RailCats were shutout by the Explorers, 4-0. Gary managed just seven hits and never had a baserunner reach third base on the evening.
Sioux City (25-9) ended the scoreless contest with four runs on five straight hits in the fourth. Former RailCat Jose Sermo brought home the first run of the series with an RBI triple off the top of the right-center wall. Jay Baum then made it 2-0 with an RBI single to center before Dylan Kelly doubled the X's lead with a two-run double to left-center.
Lars Liguori (1-4) was charged with his third consecutive loss after allowing four runs on a season-high 11 hits, a walk and a strikeout in 5.2 innings. Gabe Perez pitched the final 2.1 innings, yielding no runs, no hits, a walk, a hit batsman and a strikeout. Offensively, John Price Jr. and Wilfredo Gimenez led Gary (17-14) with two hits each.
Vernia (4-1) recorded his second straight win against Gary for the Explorers. The right-hander yielded just five hits, walked none and struck out six. In two starts against the RailCats, Vernia is 2-0 and allowed just one run in 14 innings on 10 hits, no walks and 15 strikeouts.
Gary continues their five-game road trip on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. in Iowa against the Sioux City Explorers. Gary's LHP Jeff McKenzie (2-1, 5.20) opposes Sioux City RHP Luis Mateo (4-2, 5.09) in the middle game of the series.
Gary returns home to U.S. Steel Yard on Wednesday, June 27th, for two games against the Chicago Dogs. Wednesday's game is at 7:10 p.m. and is another "Office Wednesday", Pretzel Night, NorthShore Health Centers Wednesday and Wine Wednesday. Fans can sign up for the "Office Olympics" Jersey Auction during the game and can also purchase $2.50 Bavarian Pretzels and $4 Barefoot Wine and Barefoot Refresh Spritzers.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 22, 2018
- Saints Let One Get Away, Lose 9-8 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Take Series Opener from Railroaders - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Brown's Strong Start Leads RedHawks to Win over Wingnuts - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Dogs Drop Walk-Off Heartbreaker to Lincoln 5-4 - Chicago Dogs
- Jacobs Walk-Off Lifts Saltdogs to Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- AirHogs Open Sioux Falls Series with Convincing 7-3 Win - Texas AirHogs
- Vernia Dominant as X's Shut out Cats - Sioux City Explorers
- Garrett's Big Night Not Enough, Birds Lose to Texas - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Two-Out Knocks Doom Wingnuts in Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Drop Opener to T-Bones - Cleburne Railroaders
- 'Cats Blanked by X's, 4-0, to Open 5-Game Road Trip - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Add Rookie Righty to Pitching Staff, Activate Gordon - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gopher Ball, Saints Sign University of Minnesota Infielder Luke Pettersen - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Return Home for Longer Stay Starting Friday - Kansas City T-Bones
- Carlos Contreras Shining in Return to AirHogs - Texas AirHogs
- Kane You Feel It? Wingnuts Bring Back 12-Game Winner - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Fall as RailCats Clinch Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Chicago Heads to Lincoln for Dogs vs. 'Dogs - Chicago Dogs
- Rafael Palmeiro to Face the T-Bones this Weekend - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Split Double Header with RedHawks - Sioux City Explorers
- Eight-Run Second Drives Goldeyes to Beat Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Canaries Fall to Wingnuts in Nail-Biter, Head Home Friday - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.