AirHogs Open Sioux Falls Series with Convincing 7-3 Win
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The Texas AirHogs opened their three-game set at The Birdcage with a convincing 7-3 win over the Sioux Falls Canaries Friday. Li Ning finished with three hits and a season-best four RBIs, and Meng Weiqiang earned his third win of the year by striking out a season-high 10.
The AirHogs got out to an early lead vs. Sioux Falls starter Miles Nordgren on a two-out single from Correlle Prime and an opposite-field RBI double by Dillon Thomas in the first. The RBI was a team-best 24th of the season for Thomas.
The AirHogs tagged Nordgren in the sixth for three runs to break a 1-1 tie. Chen Junpeng picked up two RBIs on a double to cap the three-run inning after Li Ning started the scoring with an RBI base hit.
Meng Weiqiang (3-3) struck out ten while allowing four hits and one run (one earned) over 5.2 innings. His ten strikeouts were the most for an AirHogs pitcher this year. He exited the game in the sixth, giving way to Ricky Eusebio, who surrendered a home run to Maxx Garrett to make it 4-3.
A two-RBI base hit by Li Ning in the seventh, plus another RBI single in the ninth, helped to provide insurance as the AirHogs won their second straight for the first time this season.
Yang Yanyong and Carlos Contreras combined to face the minimum in the 7th through the 9th in relief. Texas outhit Sioux Falls 11-7. The seven runs matched a season-high. Thomas finished 3 for 4 with three runs scored and an RBI.
Nordgren (0-1) suffered the loss after last 5.1 innings and allowing eight hits and four runs (four earned). Garrett drove in all three runs for the Canaries.
Texas (7-24) and Sioux Falls (11-21) will meet again tomorrow at 6:05 p.m. LHP Tyler Matzek (0-3, 7.06 ERA) is expected to start for the AirHogs. RHP Kevin Folman (0-1, 5.23 ERA) is expected to get the ball for the Canaries. A live broadcast of the game will be available at mixlr.com/TXAirHogs.
The AirHogs - powered by Beijing Shougang Eagles return home June 29. Tickets for all home games are available. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information. For the latest news, follow the team on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @TXAirHogs.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 22, 2018
- Saints Let One Get Away, Lose 9-8 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Take Series Opener from Railroaders - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Brown's Strong Start Leads RedHawks to Win over Wingnuts - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Dogs Drop Walk-Off Heartbreaker to Lincoln 5-4 - Chicago Dogs
- Jacobs Walk-Off Lifts Saltdogs to Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- AirHogs Open Sioux Falls Series with Convincing 7-3 Win - Texas AirHogs
- Vernia Dominant as X's Shut out Cats - Sioux City Explorers
- Garrett's Big Night Not Enough, Birds Lose to Texas - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Two-Out Knocks Doom Wingnuts in Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Drop Opener to T-Bones - Cleburne Railroaders
- 'Cats Blanked by X's, 4-0, to Open 5-Game Road Trip - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Add Rookie Righty to Pitching Staff, Activate Gordon - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gopher Ball, Saints Sign University of Minnesota Infielder Luke Pettersen - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Return Home for Longer Stay Starting Friday - Kansas City T-Bones
- Carlos Contreras Shining in Return to AirHogs - Texas AirHogs
- Kane You Feel It? Wingnuts Bring Back 12-Game Winner - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Fall as RailCats Clinch Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Chicago Heads to Lincoln for Dogs vs. 'Dogs - Chicago Dogs
- Rafael Palmeiro to Face the T-Bones this Weekend - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Split Double Header with RedHawks - Sioux City Explorers
- Eight-Run Second Drives Goldeyes to Beat Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Canaries Fall to Wingnuts in Nail-Biter, Head Home Friday - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.